Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are quilters perfect? >

Are quilters perfect?

Are quilters perfect?

Old 06-29-2017, 12:50 AM

Default Are quilters perfect?

Do you have to be a perfectionist to make quilts?
Old 06-29-2017, 01:12 AM

Not at all! No one is perfect! Anyone who claims to be has probably just found a creative way to hide their mistakes! LOL

If you want to feel more successful, be selective when picking a pattern. For example, if you have difficulty matching seams, start with a pattern that doesn't have a lot of matching seams, like Missouri Star's Double Slice Layer Cake quilt. Pick patterns with larger pieces, or squares/rectangles. Those would be easier than triangles. Build your confidence with the easier ones before tackling the harder ones.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Not at all! No one is perfect! Anyone who claims to be has probably just found a creative way to hide their mistakes! LOL

If you want to feel more successful, be selective when picking a pattern. For example, if you have difficulty matching seams, start with a pattern that doesn't have a lot of matching seams, like Missouri Star's Double Slice Layer Cake quilt. Pick patterns with larger pieces, or squares/rectangles. Those would be easier than triangles. Build your confidence with the easier ones before tackling the harder ones.
Seazteddy, I totally agree with Katier825, very good advice. When I first started quilting the instructor's first advice was there was no perfect quilt, there was only one perfect entity. Enjoy the craft as a release of stress. Have fun with it.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:30 AM

I find it a whole lot less stressful NOT to be a perfectionist. When I first started quilting I thought everything had to be perfect, but as the years went on I discovered those little boo-boos didn't really matter that much. If something is off enough to really bug me, I will take it out and fix it, otherwise I just let it go and move on, and nobody else ever notices. Of course this doesn't apply if you are making quilts for show/judging.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:45 AM

This is supposed to be a fun, relaxing experience. We should be enjoying the process. Of course, I'm sure most of us have improved our skills over the years but certainly not to the level of perfection!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:16 AM

If that was a requirement to be a quilter, I'd have had to quit long ago.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:19 AM
Banned

My grannie said practice makes perfect. I'm still practicing. LOTS of practicing!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:26 AM

Nope. There are some styles of quilting that are less exact than others. If someone wants to strive for perfection, they can but it's not a requirement by any means.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:51 AM

As in every endeavor, there are levels of accepted perfection. It is so very personal. I have some measure of OCD or so I am told. I don't tolerate messy things very well; and, as a result, all of my cupboards and drawers are well organized and labeled. Things have a place and need to be in their place. This spills over into my quilting journey and I am a perfectionist. I am the one who drives myself crazy. I, however, love everyone else's quilts and never look for or see their errors. I am not judgemental. We all have to find our comfort level in all of the things we do. Our comfort level seems to spill into everything we do. Know yourself and be happy.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

No, they are not perfect.