Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters Planner/Other paper quilt organizer >

Quilters Planner/Other paper quilt organizer

Quilters Planner/Other paper quilt organizer

Old 01-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Default Quilters Planner/Other paper quilt organizer

Has anyone used the Quilter's Planner? http://quiltersplanner.com/ Did you like it?

I don't really need a calendar as I use my computer/phone for that. Do you know of any other quilting planner that doesn't use a calendar? Would you recommend it?

If I made up my own organization paper for each quilt what should it have on it?

I've got three projects due by January 30 and I thought spending an hour organizing might be time well spent.

Thanks, Mary Jo
Old 01-08-2017, 06:50 AM

I just use a kids composition book that's made with graph paper. I probably don't put enough information down it's more about what sizes blocks are how I'm going to quell the quilt etc. but it works for me. I don't think I would use an actual planner unless I started quilting for others
Old 01-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I don't see the point of having quilting scheduled unless I quilted for money. Sounds like a paper chore to me.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 AM

I used an artist's sketchbook for years to keep quilting ideas and for drawings of applique details or to keep measurements straight. It worked well and the only reason I stopped using it is because I filled it up and then never bought a new one. I still use it to add the dates and such of the quilts I finish. I like it better than lined paper for the drawings for sure.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:50 AM

The AQS has an organizer that you can download monthly - here's a link: http://www.aqsblog.com/creative-organizer-ufo-pages

I organize my projects in a three-ring binder. Information I keep is:
- name or description and date started
- pattern (often just a sketch with a few dimensions, if I designed it myself). Pattern name and author, if I'm using a commercial pattern.
- notes on when I worked on it, what I did, and if I encountered any problems.
- a little "progress bar" at the top, that I colour in as I go, so that I can see that it is coming along. Sometimes I have it divided up (planning, cutting, piecing, assembling, quilting, binding), but not always.

I do this just to keep track of where I'm at, not to help me meet deadlines. For your purpose, I would break each quilt down into steps, and estimate a "due date" for each step. I would use this as a checklist to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything, and would finish on time.

I think spending the time to organize will definitely pay off for you. Good luck, and please share what system you come up with and how it works!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Banned

Too busy quilting to do all that organizing stuff.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Finally getting around to working on a quilt for my son. Got out the graph paper. Now to wait on the panel hopefully to arrive in couple days.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

MJPEncenitas ... you're right in recognizing that sometimes organizing ourselves can be a secret to getting things done ... and even to our sanity. However, we can be over-organized. I agree with you ... your phone is your scheduler/planner tool, so include your Quilting scheduling there too. You mentioned that you have three projects for the end of January ... if they are "musts" then, do as you would in business schedule your time!(and maybe these projects are business to you?) Make appts with yourself and keep them.

I also agree with you, that sometimes an hour spent to organize can reward us significantly and perhaps as you suggested, this is what you need right now? Some things that I would do ... get rid of excess clutter. Also excess projects that are maybe causing diversionary thinking/quilting! Do you have everything you need ... make a shopping list? or if you have it, create a project bin for each of the projects. Another big help when feeling overwhelmed with all that needs to be done (not just in our quilting lives!) ... learn to say NO! ... It is too easy to say, oh I can do that (bake for the community fundraiser, run an errand for a family member, take kids to sports, etc.) ... and next thing we have given away our time and lost our time for what we need to do. Of course, some of those things we must do .... but often, there are things we say yes to, that we definitely can say NO ... if we choose!

At one time, I set up three binders .... Past, Present and Future.
The idea was great ... and I thought simple enough that it would work.
The Past Binder was for patterns and details about quilts/projects that I had completed.
Present ... the ones I was currently working on including a list of UFOs and Flimsies.
Future ... all those I wanna-would-like-to-do-dream-about quilts. Anyone have those?

Like I said, great idea, but I found that was another step. The binders were not conveniently placed, nor part of my daily routine to keep them up to date. They have fallen by the wayside, even though I have kept them, and think about them. I still think it is a good idea and maybe at some point, I will find a way to make them a habit instead of a shelf filler?

Now for what has worked!! ..... project bins have been a huge asset and great time saver for me.
Initially I had a hodge podge of plastic bins with lids, but as a space saver I gradually switched to matching stackables and now just have two different sizes. They are all labelled so that at a quick glance, I know which project is inside.
Futures Projects ... they are gathering bins ... pattern goes in, along with fabrics as I acquire them and any other necessities. Plus, any ideas that I have for my own touches, I just make notes and drop into the box. I can sort it all later ... or say, what was I thinking and turf it out!!! Time saver!
Time to start cutting/sewing ... the box comes out, and I have what I need. If it is a BOM or something I will do over an extended time, I put everything back into the bin, including the blocks etc. that are made, and back onto the shelf it goes until the next time I work on it .... and bring out the next bin.

A few bonuses ... Shelves filled with inspiration (OK sometimes guilt!). Everything is together. Plus fabric is reserved right to the end ... and no fretting later of OMG, I used that fabric in another project and now I do not have enough to make the borders or WHY!

In the same sense ... when I have a flimsy made, I do not stop .... the backing is assembled along with the binding. If I do not go straight to sandwich/quilting I know that I have all that I need for whenever that time comes.

Another activity that works for me is to keep a few books of graph paper of different sizes with pencils and assorted coloured highlighter markers (pencil crayons or crayons work too).
If I see a pattern I like and would like to do at some point, I will sit and sketch it out (or just keep the picture for later when I have the time). I include my notes re measurements, assembly, variations I have already considered, embellishment ideas, etc. Glued/taped/stapled with the graphed sketches are any pictures I have of the quilt and/or weblinks for reference later.

This works for me ... as it's in the family room which makes it accessible as something to do while watching TV, waiting for supper to cook, laundry to wash, etc. Or simply, something quilty I can do, when I just don't feel like going to the sewing room and actual doing some stitching! And it's not all about quilting ... the other day, I used the graph paper to figure out a crochet pattern! It's also a good travelling project ... I have taken this with me on holidays and business trips for a quilty change of pace!

A few years ago, I started to keep a log book at my machine ... a 5"x7" size works for me.
At the top of the page, I write the name of the project and date started and if an extended project, I add the date completed.
I use it mostly, when I get to the machine quilting stage, but sometimes I have included variations while I cut/stitched/assembled.
For each project, I list: Machine Foot, Stitch #, Needle-Type/Size, Tension, Stitch Length, Stitch Width, Thread-Brand/Type/Colour/Weight, Batting Used .... and any other relevant info.

If everything is consistent, just one comment but if there are adjustments, for example tension ... the original setting is there, stroked out with new one added, and if more adjustments, stroked out and the next noted.

If I change things up (eg. different stitches) there could be additional lists with the related info . Or just a separate note showing that for the straight line quilting .... the specific changes I made to the foot, needle, stitch length, width etc.

All of this gives me a good reference if I leave the project in mid stream.
Plus when I sit down to do a similar project later, I look at what I ended with before, and use that as my starting point .... making note of those first settings and then adjust as needed.

I realize that you may already be doing many of these!
Or perhaps they are some food for thought for you and perhaps others too.

Happy Quilting!

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-08-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:30 AM

Some ideas here that are great food for thought. I'm not that organized but I'm ok with my level of organization.

QuiltE - I use the tote ideas you've mentioned and find that the most effective tool for me.

I keep my "to-do/UFO" list beside my machine and look at it regularly - it helps to keep me on track when I get distracted although it's not entirely effective in preventing that "I just want to make this fun whatever now!". It is effective in motivating me to cross one thing off as I complete it and add something else . I think we all have never ending lists/ideas of things we want to do.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

GemRM ... I continue to surprise myself as to how much fits in those scrapbook paper boxes (hold 12" squares). Much tidier than the larger ones .... and pretty too with all their pretty colours!

We all definitely need those "I just want to make this fun whatever now!" ... sometimes they are the sanity keepers with that rewarding feeling of completion!!

As for the never ending lists .... my brain is exploding with those ideas!!! and why my siggie says -------------->