Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilter's select cuttinhg mat >

quilter's select cuttinhg mat

quilter's select cuttinhg mat

Old 01-24-2024, 10:32 PM

Default quilter's select cuttinhg mat

There are lots of threads anout their rulers, but it is their cutting mat I am interested in. I use a smaller size mat on my lap when I am cutting (12" x 18") I have tried many mats but I prefer Olfas as the fabric doesn't slide aroung when your trying to cut. Now I'm not talking about rulers that slip around. I use True Grips for that. I'm talking about the fabric slipping on the mat. Olfa's grip the fabric.

However, I would like to find a ruler that grips the fabric like Olfa does, but also has either 1/2" lines going down or 1/2" and 1/4" marks on every square. (every sq. inch)

Does anyone have a Quilter's Select mat that knows about the fabric grip on it as compared to Olfa?
Old 01-25-2024, 05:20 AM

I have a Quilter's Select cutting mat, I had a Fiskar's one before that, I've never had an Olfa.

I love the mat, it's super thick, double sided, numbers go in both directions, there are definitely 1/2" markings but they don't stand out super well if that helps you. I have wrist issues so I either use my die cutter or a 3lb hand weight on top of my ruler to help with cutting.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I have Olfa and Quilter's Select mats. I can't tell any difference from fabric slippage but the QS mat is smoother. I've never cut sitting down with a mat in my lap, that may be pushing the fabric forward on the mat instead of pushing it down.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:36 AM

I also need my fabric to not slip on the mat, and I found Quilter's Select to be too slippery for me; I couldn't use it. Olfa does have the best surface texture, imo, but I switched to a Martelli mat because I had difficulty seeing darker colors on the Olfa. The Martelli is not quite as grippy as the Olfa, but I have no trouble using it for folding and cutting fabric.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
I use a smaller size mat on my lap when I am cutting (12" x 18")
You cut on your lap?? I'm trying to fathom how that works....
Old 01-25-2024, 02:10 PM

I love their rulers and their mat, and I do believe that when you use the mat with their rulers it is designed to alleviate slippage.
I too can’t imagine that cutting on one’s lap, I do hope you are using a tray of some sort, it doesn’t seem safe to use a rotary cutter on a unstable surface.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I will say my rotary blade glides and cuts better on the Quilter's Select mat. The green ones seem to put a drag on the cutter when compared.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You cut on your lap?? I'm trying to fathom how that works....
I can't imagine doing that either. I can't even cut sitting down with the mat on a table. I have to be standing to get the correct angle.