Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters Shoulder >

Quilters Shoulder

Quilters Shoulder

Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Is there such a thing? Like tennis elbow? lol

My right shoulder has been causing me a lot of trouble. I attribute it to cutting fabric. I've been taking Ibuprofen, but it's just not cutting (pardon the pun) it. Any ideas for easing the pain?
I had to go to physical therapy starting this week for the same problem. Repetitive motion with the rotary cutter is the culprit. I have to do stretches and for the next two weeks am not allowed to cut at all (thus I cannot quilt :roll: This is a real bummer, so don't keep working through the pain--give it a rest.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Is your cutting table at the proper height? Might want to try cutting on a higher table. Try a small project on your kitchen counter to see if that height is easier.
You can raise the height of your cutting table (if it's the folding, banquet style) using pieces of PVC pipe cut to make it the correct height. You just slip the legs into the pieces of pipe. Saw this the other day and thought it was ingenious!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM

Tylenol has a new creme out also..
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I know that this sounds odd but it is important to have a well-fitted bra on that provides good support so that our necks and shoulders don't hurt so bad.
This is funny...I have no boobs for a bra. lol I wear one to avoid irritation, but certainly don't need it for support. ROFL
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Another option is to get an Accuquilt Go! so you can alternate rotary cutting with die cutting. This would cut down on repetitive motion. Could be less expensive than chiropractic and physical therapy appointments....... (and maybe more fun?)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM

I know that if I get up in the morning and go in and sit and sew. By the afternoon, my neck is bothering me. For awhile, it didn't hit me what might be causing the discomfort. I have a great chair to sit in and it helps with posture. AFter about 3 days, I got dressed and I noticed how my neck and shoulders didn't bother me. So I always make sure I at least have my bra on. Personal experience. I would never presume to know how well endowed anyone is. It isn't the size that counts, it is what we do with it.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Ice and a chiropractor
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Years ago it was suggested to me to place my hand as high as I could on the side frame of the door, walk my fingers upward until I got a good stretch, lean into it a bit, hold briefly. Do this every day, maybe several times.

How I wish I had listened, been more diligent. My right shoulder is frozen. Intense msasage is helping a little bit but I'll be seeing an orthopedist soon and likely starting physical therapy.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails attachment-140258.jpe  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM

My problem is with my left rotator cuff. Went to the orthopedic doctor and had to go for physical therapy. Mine occcured from moving the weight of a large quilt around when quilting. Better since I started doing the exercises and DH made me an extension table. He also prescribed an anti-inflammatory.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 AM

I have had 5 back surgeries and I do NOT do all my rotary cutting at once. I may cut enough for portions of my next quilt in between sewing and pressing for the once I am working on. If you do the same motion-whatever it is-in excess, you will feel it. Besides a good height (stomach) make sure your cutting mat is "big"' enough and you are not leaning forward too far when you cut. With proper folding before cutting, you should be standing pretty "straight up" for the entire cut with minimal leaning. By working in the cutting with other quilt activities you should lessen the need for any medication. Good luck!