Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with 2-threads again???? >

Quilting with 2-threads again????

Quilting with 2-threads again????

Old 03-14-2016, 09:04 AM

Default Quilting with 2-threads again????

Hello, there's been some talk on using 2 or more threads while quilting. I'm just about ready to try my hand at this and want to clarify a few questions I still have. I know I'll be using embroidery polyester 40wt thread in my needle as I know it is strong and won't break as easy. I tried to use cotton quilting thread in my last attempt and it broke continually. So next it was suggested to use at least a size 18 needle, okay got them. Now my question is since using 2 or more threads would it be advisable to look for a pattern that is not too stitch intensive or does it matter?

I want to quilt some upholstery type fabric for new dining chair coverings using motif patterns. Have been looking in my collection of patterns but then I thought maybe they might be too dense so thought I best ask you all that have done this type of quilting in the past.

So what type of patterns will I get the best results from??????

Thanks all for your suggestions.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:16 AM

*** I always hand quilt with a double thread.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

When you mention a size 18 needle, I'm thinking you are machine quilting. When you say 2 or more threads, do you mean putting 2 threads thru the needle, or a different thread in the bobbin?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 AM

I don't know, but I would think less quilting would show better.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 AM

This site has some info on both double thread and heavy thread. Be sure to read some of the "things to remember" for heavy thread as well as some of them translate well to using double thread.

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...e-threads.html
Old 03-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, never attempted to do this. Hope you have a heavy duty machine.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I have used 2 strands of regular 50/30 wt thread for buttonhole stitch machine applique. Have never tried double strands for quilting. You may need to reduce the upper tension on your machine. Be sure to make a practice piece, as you may also find that you need to quilt more slowly so that the two threads are always closely aligned. When I worked with 2 threads, I used separate thread spools but treated the threads "as one" from there.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:13 PM

DogHouseMom, thanks for the site. It told me what I thought I already knew...........use a less intensive stitched pattern when using 2 threads. Hadn't even thought about the patterns the re-step their stitches as that would either hide one thread altogether or possibly make a mess of it.

As to those of you that have responed, I'm using a quilting machine with robotics so I can adjust the number of stitches per inch as well as slow it down. And yes, the Innova quilt machine is considered a heavy duty machine in its own right.

I also plan to make a practice run as I did the last time to be sure I have everything correct. Thanksfully I have lots of fabric to play with and only need 4 chair seats but I also plan to make valances later with probably embroidery instead.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:30 PM

Quilting with 2 threads came up recently in a fascinating conversation at my guild, specifically quilting with metallic thread, which is notorious for being finicky and fragile. Apparently you can thread your machine with both a metallic thread and a fine poly thread, and it will quilt out beautifully. I can't wait to try it!
Old 03-15-2016, 05:04 AM

Along with the twin needle they also make a single needle with two holes in it. One is on top of the other.