Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting advice needed for a BIG template Applecore quilt (layer cake size block) >

Quilting advice needed for a BIG template Applecore quilt (layer cake size block)

Quilting advice needed for a BIG template Applecore quilt (layer cake size block)

Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Default Quilting advice needed for a BIG template Applecore quilt (layer cake size block)

I purchased the BIG Applecore template from Missouri Star Quilt Co. and have cut out blocks for a lap sized quilt. My question is how to quilt it once the piecing is finished? I do NOT have Free Motion Quilting skills. My sewing machine does have a walking foot and a guide bar. I am thinking about echoing both sides of the curving vertical seams twice (maybe at .25" and then .5" or 1")... I just don't know if that will be sufficient or attractive. I can't afford to have it quilted by a long arm service and would truly like to complete the entire quilt by myself

The applecore blocks will finish at approx. 9.25" long by 5" in the middle and 7.25" wide at the top & bottom of the core. I plan to use Warm & White batting which will permit stitching up to 10" apart.

Does anybody have any quilting advice for this project? Has anybody finished one of these big block quilts and have any tips or advice for me???

Thanks for any suggestions you can supply!

Kathleen
Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

You should be able to do the curves using your walking foot and guide bar. Whether or not the amount of quilting you describe is enough depends on the batting. With Warm and Natural, it would be sufficient quilting. I think it would look fine.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:45 AM

Quilt an oval from middle of curve to the other side middle of curve. Making a shape looking like an apple core or a pip.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Quilt an oval from middle of curve to the other side middle of curve. Making a shape looking like an apple core or a pip.
Oh, I *like* that idea!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

The walking foot will let you do gentle curves. I would use the seam lines as a guide and put my walking foot along the seam. I would do both the vertical and the horizontal lines stitching on both sides of the seams.