Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting antique quilts >

Quilting antique quilts

Quilting antique quilts

Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM

I bought an interesting quilt top at the antique show last weekend. It need a bit of work but not much and I did find similar fabric for a repair. The fabrics are from aprox 1890-1910. I love this one because all the points are cut off but it looks great. Reminds me what is important about quilting :)

So.... how would you quilt this one? I'd like to do it on the long arm but use a pattern from the time this would have been made. It is slightly 'crispy' in places and had odd stains from being stored for so long. I'm afraid to even attemt any kind of washing until I have it secured with quilting.

The entire quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162242[/ATTACH]

a corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162807[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162237.jpe   attachment-162802.jpe  
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM

Beautiful. If it's hand pieced, I would seriously consider having it hand quilted. If you must use your long-arm, just be careful not to pull the stitiches. (aske me how I know,,,)
Old 02-15-2011, 01:17 PM

It is hand pieced. I think my biggest worry is that I feel I have to stabilize the fabrics..... only a few are beginning to shred so I'm not sure what is making me worry about it.

Maybe I need a hand quilting group to take me in for a project. It'd take me forever to hand quilt it.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Although I don't do tied quilts, this one almost yells out to me that it would like to be tied. I don't know why, but there you go.: >
Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM

You might PM Eddie. He has quilted several old quilt tops on his long arm. He is an excellent quilter and I'd certainly look to him for advice.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

What a beautiful find :D:D:D
Old 02-15-2011, 04:05 PM

I agree about being very careful. You might want to do some research on antique quilts and find out what was popular for that period. Quilting designs have changed so much over the years. If Eddie has done antique quilts, he may have some ideas for you to keep it within it's time period. It is very interesting and will be a beautiful quilt when it's finished.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 PM

please, please, please, don't machine quilt it!! It would be like putting a modern fabric on as a border. It is beautiful and deserves hand quilting - doesn't need to be fancy, let the pattern on the top shine through.
I have hand quilted several antique tops, it is so nice when they are finished and can be used as quilts. I HATE when people make tablecloths out of them (you see that in magazines a lot.)
Old 02-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
please, please, please, don't machine quilt it!! It would be like putting a modern fabric on as a border. It is beautiful and deserves hand quilting - doesn't need to be fancy, let the pattern on the top shine through.
I have hand quilted several antique tops, it is so nice when they are finished and can be used as quilts. I HATE when people make tablecloths out of them (you see that in magazines a lot.)
I agree. This deserves to be handquilted!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Oh boy, that is something! I'm with Candace, I too saw it "tied" even though tying is not something I do either.
Looking forward to seeing what you decide!
Maureen