Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting, applique, question

Blog Entries

Quilting, applique, question

I have a quilt top that has been sitting for a couple of years not finished. It is pieced and appliqued. The appliques are fused down. Now for the bright idea I have...... Could I put the backing, batting and top together and then do some thread work (irregular zigzag etc) to fasten the appliques at the same time as FMQ? Do you think this would work. I am being lazy and trying to skip the satin stich or buttonhole stitch around the appliques before putting the layers together. What do you think?

Thanks for any input.
    Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings......... we simply continue to fly ........ on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that. OKAY?

I've done that and it turned out fine. I've even done the "appliqueing" with my longarm when quilting it.... My DSM worked fine, too.
    ~Laura

Blog Entries
    you can quilt and stitch your appliques at the same time- just make sure you do stitch each applique piece down- or they will come loose when the quilt is washed-
    lots of people do their appliques this way.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much. Going to give this a try.
    Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings......... we simply continue to fly ........ on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that. OKAY?

Blog Entries
    i have done this on wall hangings. i like the way it works because the main design shows as quilting on the back
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.