Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 157

Thread: The Quilting of the Basket....progress update- pg. 10

  1. #1
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    OK, I love to quilt..the quilting part is my favorite part of making a quilt! This is an IRR quilt that I just love and I've finally gotten the confidence to work on it. I am very pleased with it...so far....now I need a little bit of input.

    I'm to the braided border. I was thinking that I would like to do diagonal crosshatching (to mirror the basket weave in the center), then in the cornerstones- a flower to mirror the flowers in the center (large enough to fill the corner). The plan for the next section would be a geometric like <><><> kinda, then finish off the floral border with a large feather vine. BUT...I'm not sure on the braid section. Not sure that I like that, so I need a little input...what do you guys think? I'd love to hear some ideas...pretty please??

    Oh..forgot to mention...I don't have a LA, so this if mostly FMQ on my DMS.

    This is the entire quilt- lovely isn't it??
    Name:  Attachment-223803.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  76.8 KB

    Here is where I am so far
    Name:  Attachment-223804.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  89.7 KB

    Corner detail
    Name:  Attachment-223805.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  81.9 KB

  2. #2
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,168
    Blog Entries
    47
    Wonderful quilting. Beautiful Quilt:)

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,866
    Oh wow, that's beautiful!
    Maureen

  4. #4
    Senior Member quiltingme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    599
    Very nice!

  5. #5
    Super Member jmabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    1,523
    Blog Entries
    1
    Holy Moly that looks like a lot of work. Great colors and job.

  6. #6
    Super Member mhunt1717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,510
    Beautiful! Wonderful quilting!

  7. #7
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,846
    Blog Entries
    45
    the quilting is wonderful. the plan for the rest sounds good

  8. #8
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    That is stunning! I only do simple FMQ so I don't have any suggestions, but had to comment on your top!

  9. #9
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    And your quilting!

  10. #10
    Super Member hcarpanini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,176
    Beautiful quilt!

  11. #11
    Super Member Sweeterthanwine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stagecoach, NV
    Posts
    1,585
    My goodness how georgeous!! and the quilting is amazing!!

  12. #12
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thanks ladies...but do you have any ideas for the quilting for the braided border????

  13. #13
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,217
    Blog Entries
    9
    Wonderful. Your quilting is fabulous!!!

  14. #14
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Thanks ladies...but do you have any ideas for the quilting for the braided border????
    Nope!

  15. #15
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,080
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    OK, I love to quilt..the quilting part is my favorite part of making a quilt! This is an IRR quilt that I just love and I've finally gotten the confidence to work on it. I am very pleased with it...so far....now I need a little bit of input.

    I'm to the braided border. I was thinking that I would like to do diagonal crosshatching (to mirror the basket weave in the center), then in the cornerstones- a flower to mirror the flowers in the center (large enough to fill the corner). The plan for the next section would be a geometric like <><><> kinda, then finish off the floral border with a large feather vine. BUT...I'm not sure on the braid section. Not sure that I like that, so I need a little input...what do you guys think? I'd love to hear some ideas...pretty please??

    Oh..forgot to mention...I don't have a LA, so this if mostly FMQ on my DMS.
    Outstanding job! As for your braided border, why not feathers?? or even leaves??

  16. #16
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Awww...come on Nancy! I know you have some thoughts on it!! LOL!

  17. #17
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Awww...come on Nancy! I know you have some thoughts on it!! LOL!
    I only stipple or meander. I do not have your quilting skills. When I need something done like this I send it out. And I let them pick the design!

  18. #18
    Super Member JudyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wickenburg AZ
    Posts
    2,849
    Blog Entries
    20
    Your quilt is gorgeous, Patti, and your quilting is absolutely stunning. I think your plan sounds great. Someday I hope to be able to quilt like you do. Not sure I'll live that long, though.

  19. #19
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyG
    Your quilt is gorgeous, Patti, and your quilting is absolutely stunning. I think your plan sounds great. Someday I hope to be able to quilt like you do. Not sure I'll live that long, though.
    :lol: :lol:

  20. #20
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,480
    Beautiful

  21. #21
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29,873
    I think crosshatching the braid would be perfect! Maybe devide the braid sections in half, not too big or too small? The pebbling in the background looks awesome but I think you either have to continue with that intensive quilting or go to a more open crosshatching that allows the excess fabric to puff a little. I find the further I get out from the center FMQuilting, the more the fabric likes to act up. Your way better than I am, so maybe this isn't an issue for you.

  22. #22
    Super Member Buckeye Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Monroe, IN
    Posts
    2,285
    Amazing .....so pretty, and the quilting is awesome. I am sure whatever you pick out will look great!

  23. #23
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,743
    Beautifully done. I agree with feathers or leaves.

  24. #24
    Super Member Rose L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nebraska..The Good Life
    Posts
    2,142
    Blog Entries
    1
    Crosshatching the braids will make them look like little pillows and they'll be a contrast to the coins you did in the background quilting. I think that will look very nice. You are a wonderful FMQer! Carry on!!

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,413
    It's beautiful!!! Don't have any suggestions though. You did all that quilting on your domestic sewing machine? Wow, I'm truly impressed, I'm barely able to meander.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.