Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting books >

Quilting books

Quilting books

Old 12-30-2015, 05:47 AM

Default Quilting books

What do you do with the books you no longer want? I have a "few" - thought of giving to my guild library, but notice no one ever takes out/looks there at meetings.......tried selling some at garage sale last year...very few were purchased......I don't want to throw them out.....wonder if women's correctional facilities have quilting as a thing to do? Anyone here have any ideas......
Old 12-30-2015, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

You can always give them away here asking for postage only. We have a member in our church group of quilters that enjoy collecting quilting magazines. I doubt if they would be used in a correctional institution.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I asked about the correctional facilities also. Very few do but for those that do, they sign out every little pin and of course cutting tools no matter how good the incarcerated trustee is. You might try some of the schools that still teach home ec. A friend of mine used to teach algebra and math and took in a couple small quilts with different angles. Her students got good grades. She gave them a mug rug if they could guess the block.
Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
What do you do with the books you no longer want? I have a "few" - thought of giving to my guild library, but notice no one ever takes out/looks there at meetings.......tried selling some at garage sale last year...very few were purchased......I don't want to throw them out.....wonder if women's correctional facilities have quilting as a thing to do? Anyone here have any ideas......
Old 12-30-2015, 06:12 AM

How about senior citizens centers. Some of those have quilting groups that may enjoy the books
Old 12-30-2015, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps try a local library? Senior center? Or a ladies church group?
Old 12-30-2015, 07:21 AM

Give to library
Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Quilting classes were a very popular offering at the Coffee Creek correctional facility in Oregon. Women who finished the courses were given refurbished sewing machines and other supplies when they were released. My guild in Salem helped support the program. I'm sure that books would be welcomed by similar groups, if there is one near you.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 AM

The guild that I belong to had a book/bookmark swap earlier this year. Each person made a pretty bookmark and brought it in a book they no longer wanted. We put them all out on a table and took turns choosing one. Everyone went home with a new-to-them book and a handmade bookmark. It was a lot of fun.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I have donated to second hand stores, libraries and to the senior citizen centers. Even left them in laundry mats of low income sections of town.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

My guild has a free table. I take all my unwanted books there. Everything left on the table after a few meetings are put in the donation bin for the Salvation Army. I have found several books I have been looking for on the free table.