Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a budget... >

Quilting on a budget...

Quilting on a budget...

Old 03-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

Default Quilting on a budget...

Quilting is an expensive hobby. I didn't realize *how* expensive when I first started, but now that I am retired I am more aware of it. We are all in very different financial situations, but I thought it might be interesting to share tips and insights about how to quilt in a way that is more budget friendly and also, hopefully, more creative.

Someone started a thread on economical quilting recently that got me started thinking about it. Took me awhile, but this is what I came up with.

The most expensive fabric is the fabric that does not get used. Economical quilting, for me, means using what I have first. It's hard to do because I have so much fabric in my stash that no longer appeals. Sadly, in spite of my stash, I find I still lack backing fabrics and background fabrics. I wish it were easier to find good quality flat sheets, as these would often work well for my needs. Does anyone still sell flat sheets by themselves instead of bundled into sheet sets?

Anyway, I'm just wondering what others' thoughts are on this topic.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Oh sheets are expensive these days. not sure if sold separately though. I tend to have a stash and like you, am not fond of it all any longer. I intend to use some as backing fabrics. I also have loads of quilt tops unfinished that I am using as backings too.
I recently bought pre-cuts from connecting threads. solids and mostly dark but I hardly have solids, so they will come in handy. on clearance of course!
Old 03-28-2018, 11:34 AM

DH will retire in a few years, and I will have to sharply curtail my spending on fabric, so I will follow this thread with interest.

Can you bring yourself to use the fabrics that no longer appeal?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:53 AM

I think that there was a Fred Meyer in Idaho that used to sell flat sheets. On sale I think it was about $9 for a twin size. I bought a few for quilt backing and they are holding up fine. I even made a couple of skirts for myself out of them, lol!

Quilting is only as expensive as one lets it be. I don't need the latest lines of fabric or new stuff for every quilt. I buy my batting in bulk and so far have found that Wal-Mart online has better buys than Joanns.com.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:56 AM

I'm not retired but I like to hang onto my money so I have a couple of thoughts...

What about doing a fabric swap with a guild, club or just a group of quilting friends. What you find unappealing might be just what someone else is looking for and vice versa.

I wait for sales to pick up basics when I can to fill in gaps, and I watch the paper for estate sales I've picked up a lot, for very little cost.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:23 PM

Prism, do you have an IKEA nearby? I've found sheets there for as little as $4, and yes they were sold individually.

Another place that seems to have them often (at least in my area) is the thrift store.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:24 PM

I am also finding that a lot of the fabric I bought when I first started quilting are no longer my style or taste. What I have done is go thru them and any that I don’t care for go in a separate container to be used for backing, that way they are not wasted. All my scraps are cut into useable pieces and get used to make Project Linus quilts. I am really trying to use everything that I bought. Prices have really gone up in the last years and I find that I don’t buy as much now as I did before.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I believe every fabric is beautiful if cut into small enough pieces.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Prism, you are so right about fabric that you no longer like. I was in the same boat. I gifted a whole lot and then found some great pieces I've sold on Ebay. Nothing is more unappealing to me than using a fabric I don't like and in reality I won't use it. Quilting is so much more enjoyable when I have fabric I absolutely love.
I don't know about sheets. I do know they sell them separately in various places. I've never worked with them but many others have.
We used to love flannel sheets but no longer do so I'm going to use some of my flat sheets for backings on some if it calls for flannel.
Yes, it's an expensive hobby but so rewarding.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:17 PM

Instead of precuts, I go to the remnant bin & look for coordinating fabrics. I’ve also used sheets for backing & I've found those plus home made curtains at thrift stores. I’ve taken out the few seams in the curtains & used some of them to make quilted bags. I’m working now to trim scraps into useful shapes & sizes to make orphan blocks. Those may get combined into donation quilts.