Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting a busy panel quilt. >

Quilting a busy panel quilt.

Quilting a busy panel quilt.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM

Default Quilting a busy panel quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604071[/ATTACH]Need input on quilting this little panel quilt, please. I had thought I'd just stitch around the blocks and then outline the animals in each. Then I thought of all the thread color changes that would require and how strange that might look on the back. Would it look okay to quilt the whole thing with one color? And if so, what color would look best? I was thinking of a solid blue backing, or piecing one from the two pieces of fabric hanging next to it, plus a strip of the solid pale blue border fabric and some little friendship star blocks I made but didn't use. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails img_1413.jpg  
Old 11-15-2018, 08:34 AM

I think your ideas for finishing it are great. I think I'd use a light grey or light blue size 50 polyester thread for the quilting.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:36 AM

You could use a monofilament to outline all the animals and Sid for the blocks so no thread change, maybe a variegated for the borders, and your back grounds are great maybe a solid bobbin thread to match the top variegated or even use the variegated in the bobbin as well. Whatever you chose will be loved.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:40 AM

If it were mine, I'd use white for the quilting . . . outlining the animals and just inside the block. If I tried to match thread color to block, I just might give up. Or use a white bobbin and match top color to block. As for the backing, your ideas are right on . . . IMHO. I look forward to seeing what you decide.

Love that panel!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-15-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Cute top! I think I might quilt with grey thread. The grey is kind of a non colour and would look fine outline quilting the animals and grey would look fine on the blue backing.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:48 PM

I was thinking the same thing as Tartan
Old 11-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I would use a pale yellow thread on everything.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:51 PM

My 2cents worth.
Put the orange on the back and use a medium to light orange for the quilting.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions! Food for thought. I have not had good luck using monofilament, though that sounds perfect for something like this. I've also had mixed results using different colored top and bobbin threads, but am not adverse to trying it again. I probably never would have thought of gray thread for the quilting. Need to run back upstairs and try that and the yellow as well. I have a green Gutterman thread that looks like it could work. I prefer aurifil, but my local shops only carry it in white or beige, no colors. I would up piecing the backing and batting this afternoon and have glue basted the backing and batting together. The rest will have to wait for tomorrow. Thanks for all your nice comments. Will post my progress....when I make some progress!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:12 AM

My first thought was to do a vine like stitch in the sashing using a variegated light green thread. Then I would pick a small motif (flower or geometric shape) and do it in the center of each block. I would do this fairly small and either match the block for top thread or use invisible thread or just keep using the green variegated thread. (Use the green for the boobin throughout the quilting.) This would create a nice pattern on the back and would hold the top together without distracting from this so cute panel. Please let us see what you decide to do.