Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting a busy panel quilt.

Quilting a busy panel quilt.

Name:  IMG_1413.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  1.42 MBNeed input on quilting this little panel quilt, please. I had thought I'd just stitch around the blocks and then outline the animals in each. Then I thought of all the thread color changes that would require and how strange that might look on the back. Would it look okay to quilt the whole thing with one color? And if so, what color would look best? I was thinking of a solid blue backing, or piecing one from the two pieces of fabric hanging next to it, plus a strip of the solid pale blue border fabric and some little friendship star blocks I made but didn't use. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions!

I think your ideas for finishing it are great. I think I'd use a light grey or light blue size 50 polyester thread for the quilting.
    Lori

You could use a monofilament to outline all the animals and Sid for the blocks so no thread change, maybe a variegated for the borders, and your back grounds are great maybe a solid bobbin thread to match the top variegated or even use the variegated in the bobbin as well. Whatever you chose will be loved.

If it were mine, I'd use white for the quilting . . . outlining the animals and just inside the block. If I tried to match thread color to block, I just might give up. Or use a white bobbin and match top color to block. As for the backing, your ideas are right on . . . IMHO. I look forward to seeing what you decide.

Love that panel!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-15-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Power Poster
    Cute top! I think I might quilt with grey thread. The grey is kind of a non colour and would look fine outline quilting the animals and grey would look fine on the blue backing.

I was thinking the same thing as Tartan

I would use a pale yellow thread on everything.

My 2cents worth.
    Put the orange on the back and use a medium to light orange for the quilting.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Food for thought. I have not had good luck using monofilament, though that sounds perfect for something like this. I've also had mixed results using different colored top and bobbin threads, but am not adverse to trying it again. I probably never would have thought of gray thread for the quilting. Need to run back upstairs and try that and the yellow as well. I have a green Gutterman thread that looks like it could work. I prefer aurifil, but my local shops only carry it in white or beige, no colors. I would up piecing the backing and batting this afternoon and have glue basted the backing and batting together. The rest will have to wait for tomorrow. Thanks for all your nice comments. Will post my progress....when I make some progress!

Blog Entries
    My first thought was to do a vine like stitch in the sashing using a variegated light green thread. Then I would pick a small motif (flower or geometric shape) and do it in the center of each block. I would do this fairly small and either match the block for top thread or use invisible thread or just keep using the green variegated thread. (Use the green for the boobin throughout the quilting.) This would create a nice pattern on the back and would hold the top together without distracting from this so cute panel. Please let us see what you decide to do.

What about a variegated thread? I have one with bright colors: red, green, blue, yellow.

When I don’t want to use a white-white thread, I have a light peach that blends and would work wonderfully in this quilt. :-). Another color I use that blends well is Lemonaid (yellow-Perma Core). This one is a “staple”!

What an adorable quilt. Teddy is going to love it!!! I've used grey when in doubt & it just blends right in to every color. And don't forget that after the quilt is washed the quilting thread seems to just sink right in & is not noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannies G View Post
    You could use a monofilament to outline all the animals and Sid for the blocks so no thread change, maybe a variegated for the borders, and your back grounds are great maybe a solid bobbin thread to match the top variegated or even use the variegated in the bobbin as well. Whatever you chose will be loved.
    I agree with this. I used a variegated thread on the last quilt I quilted in both top and bobbin and it came out great.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I like the idea of a dull green thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
    My 2cents worth.
    Put the orange on the back and use a medium to light orange for the quilting.
    This is what I'd do, too. I don't like the darker blue as the backing but the orange looks exactly right, to me. And orange thread, quilted as you suggested, will look great.

That panel is adorable, do you mind sharing who it's by? As for the quilting I would definitely go with the grey just blends in really well, at least that's been my experience. Good luck!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Light blue or gray thread and crosshatch the whole thing.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    How about a variegated thread.

DJ
    I would like the monofilament thread except that it doesn't feel soft. Wouldn't like it on a baby quilt. Light gray is the best choice, I think. I do like your idea to SID and then outline the animals in each block. It's really a darling quilt!

I would most likely use a royal or navy blue to contrast the colors on the quilt.
    Quilting is either a passion or an addiction; I have yet to decide!!