Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and camping - any tips? >

Quilting and camping - any tips?

Quilting and camping - any tips?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM

We camp also, and I have been thinking about taking mine, hubbie always says leave it home. I shared this post with him - he's thinking differntly now. I will be taking it with us.. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM

I have taken my machine camping quite often...you never know when you will find that perfect fabric for a quilt or for recovering the cushions in your RV...
Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 PM

DH and I are in the process of packing up for a trip next week: Melbourne to Broome, towards the northern tip of the West Australian coast, then back home through the inland - a sort or big loop, about ten thousand miles by the time we get home again. We will be gone for about two months.

I have been wondering the same thing: take the machine, or not. We have a camper trailer, with electricity supply and all but, as usual, space will be a premium.

I am cutting lots of pieces for my GFG and preparing perhaps half a dozen DJ blocks, both to hand-piece.

My thinking is that if I get all the way to Broome and have become a desperado because I don't have a sewing machine I could buy a little one there, rather than drag one all the way from here.

Is this a good idea, and am I taking enough hand-piecing, or should I work a bit harder with the preparation now?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:51 PM

We have a 32ft camper and I take my quilting with me when we go. My DH got me a janome 730 and i love it. I keep alot if supplies at the camper and just carry my small machine and fabrics with me.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:30 PM

when we take the rv for a trip I always take my machine, but I also take some hand quilting projects. I have done some very nice hand piecing on these trips. quilted a full size quilt once on that tiny table.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 PM

We have an RV motorhome and I have a permanent place for my small Janome Gem. I also have an Ezisew table it fits into, and which is very easy to store. It is also extremely stable and can be wheeled over to wherever. I use the dinette table for cutting, and have a small traveling iron and a small ironing surface which I put up on the kitchen counter. I try to keep most of my "this year's projects" in a large flat-ish (6 in. high) plastic container, which is easily storable as well. My cutting mat fits into this nicely, along with my travel iron and iron surface.

We usually go down to the desert for a few weeks in the winter. Not having a sewing machine for weeks on end would drive me wild. I think I'd have to actually go buy one.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by aussiequilter
DH and I are in the process of packing up for a trip next week: Melbourne to Broome, towards the northern tip of the West Australian coast, then back home through the inland - a sort or big loop, about ten thousand miles by the time we get home again. We will be gone for about two months.

I have been wondering the same thing: take the machine, or not. We have a camper trailer, with electricity supply and all but, as usual, space will be a premium.

I am cutting lots of pieces for my GFG and preparing perhaps half a dozen DJ blocks, both to hand-piece. Then buy a machine in Broome if you really are desperate.

Once while living in Wangaratta, my DH and I took a trip quite like the one you are planning, I would imagine. We left from Wang to White Cliffs, on up to Innamincka then Birdsville then back down the track to Adelaide. We were gone for three - four weeks.

As I remember it, the evenings were so magical and the birds were so beautiful, I didn't miss a thing. So, as an American I can testify that enjoying the wonderful country you call home while you are able to will in years ahead, become be more and more a delightful memory to you. It would be hand-piecing for me.

My thinking is that if I get all the way to Broome and have become a desperado because I don't have a sewing machine I could buy a little one there, rather than drag one all the way from here.

Is this a good idea, and am I taking enough hand-piecing, or should I work a bit harder with the preparation now?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:12 PM

I have a 17 foot Casita trailer, I have a very small sewing machine and a very small surger,cheap ones for on the road, have a Bernina 830 for here at home I also carry hand applique with me as well as quilting books wherever I go , Been all over Arizona and all the way back to Oklahoma, our table is big enough for 2 plates and not much more, but it is big enough for a small sewing machine , No need to do without
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 AM

Always take my machine with me, I bought a lower price machine so nothing would happen to my high end machine. Some campgrounds don't have the best power. My friend who did a lot of traveling in her camper had a regular craft shop packed under her camper bed. Yarn, fabric, et
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 AM

Well now, here's a "take it with you story". My DH and I lived for 10 years on a 24 ft sailboat. Yep, I had a sewing machine along, a phaff 130 outfited with a hand crank. (dh called me his cranky sweety). When his terminal illness forced us to sell the boat and move ashore I kept the phaff and still have it. Now many years later my best friend/housemate/travel companion and I travel in a 34 ft motor home. Since the phaff weigh at least 1/2 a ton, I now have a light weight Baby Lock as my travel machine. I keep the stash, under the bed, sew on the dinette table, lay out projects on the bed and happily stitch away. We are planning on full timing as soon as the house sells.
Where there's a will, there's a way! Keep on stitching!