Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Confessions

Okay..... As I've said I have only been quilting or even sewing for about a year. I began in Jan. 2010 I have finished 15 quilt tops to date.

Now for the confession..... I am addicted to buying fabric.

However, I must say my fabric stash is not very large at all. When I buy fabric I usually try to purchase enough to do a quilt and I will NOT leave it in my fabric tote I have to cut it up and have it ready to be sewn. And let me just say it worries me to death when its laying in my sewing room and hasn't been cut. I loose sleep over it!!! Finally when its cut I can bounce back and forth from project to project until its finished. (I'm going to make another post listing all of my current projects, maybe if I share their status I'll hurry and finish them.) After a year of this madness the projects are really building up on me!!! And my fabric shopping addiction is not slowing down :)

I'll list my current projects here: (All of which are quilts)

1. Tennesse Scrap
    2. Farm Friendliness
    3. Trip Around the World (Christmas Gift for Aunt)
    4. Dresden Plate
    5. Plaid Block Pattern
    6. Hour Glass Variation
    7. 3" Scrap Squares
    8. In Flight
    9. Churn dash
    10. Hannah Montana

HELP!!!!! Maybe this will motivate me to finish (ALL OF THEM)

Quote Originally Posted by fayza
    Okay..... As I've said I have only been quilting or even sewing for about a year. I began in Jan. 2010 I have finished 15 quilt tops to date.

However, I must say my fabric stash is not very large at all. When I buy fabric I usually try to purchase enough to do a quilt and I will NOT leave it in my fabric tote I have to cut it up and have it ready to be sewn. And let me just say it worries me to death when its laying in my sewing room and hasn't been cut. I loose sleep over it!!! Finally when its cut I can bounce back and forth from project to project until its finished. (I'm going to make another post listing all of my current projects, maybe if I share their status I'll hurry and finish them.) After a year of this madness the projects are really building up on me!!! And my fabric shopping addiction is not slowing down :)
    Holy Cow! You've made 15 tops in a year? You must not have a job outside the home. Or they are crib size or smaller. Just wait, your fabric buying seems to get worse the longer you have this hobby (love/obsession). I've been quilting for 10 yrs. and about once a year I redo the boxes my stash is in and move them to larger boxes. The one kind of fabric I have the most of is for OBW's. I've at least 12 hunks for just those. Good Luck!

My confession is that when I'm sewing and my husband has made a nice dinner and he calls out that dinner is ready, I secretly wish that I didn't have to bother with eating! Oh for heaven's sake, I am just getting these seams to line up for the first time this afternoon, and now to be called away!

But I know it's not good to complain that he made a nice dinner! I'm very fortunate.

WOW You have been busy.

No, I don't work outside the home, and I should have also said I do all sewing on machine. I have 3 small children all of which are in school, but are very active in school with sports, and such... If they didn't want to play sports and participate in everything the school does I could have finished some of these projects already..... Haha

I love sewing.... I think I have already became obsessed with it. If I'm not cooking, cleaning, tending to the kids, or the husband... I'm sewing... If I'm letting my sewing machine take a break and cool down I'm reading a book or cutting more fabric to sew. I am always doing something I can't stand to not be into something.... Sounds like another confession!

Blog Entries
    I can't believe you have only been sewing less than a year! And 15 tops?!!! Wow! You must be in perpetual motion!! Of course, I remember when my kids were little, I managed to get a lot more done. Had to work fast and when I could. Now it is just the two of us and it takes me forever to do what I use to do in a couple of hours. Of course, I'm a lot older now and have back and leg problems, maybe that is why. Nope! Just got as lot slower in my old age.LOL Where in KY are you?

My goodness, do you ever sleep? You must be the world's most organized woman. I'm afraid to say, no matter how you try, you will never be able to use up all your fabric on a project. There will always be some pieces left. If you must have a project for them, I suggest you start a collection of 4 or 9 patches, pinwheels, friendship stars, or some other simple blocks and keep them together. When you have enough, make a lap quilt to have on hand when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    I can't believe you have only been sewing less than a year! And 15 tops?!!! Wow! You must be in perpetual motion!! Of course, I remember when my kids were little, I managed to get a lot more done. Had to work fast and when I could. Now it is just the two of us and it takes me forever to do what I use to do in a couple of hours. Of course, I'm a lot older now and have back and leg problems, maybe that is why. Nope! Just got as lot slower in my old age.LOL Where in KY are you?
    I am in east Ky in Johnson County. Nearest known city is Paintsville.

15 tops in a year. I'm impressed. I always said I wouldn't have a huge stash. But here I am with totes of fabric. Mine started with my youngest daughter bringing home fabric she bought for a quilt. It has just snowballed from there.

Wow, 15 quilts. Take time to enjoy your hobby

15 quilts in your first year?? Wow! You are busy! Do hope you take time to make a couple of things for yourself in the process! Please share pics, we'd love to see! :)

cjk
    I'll list my current projects here: (All of which are quilts)

1. Tennesse Scrap
    2. Farm Friendliness
    3. Trip Around the World (Christmas Gift for Aunt)
    4. Dresden Plate
    5. Plaid Block Pattern
    6. Hour Glass Variation
    7. 3" Scrap Squares
    8. In Flight
    9. Churn dash
    10. Hannah Montana

HELP!!!!! Maybe this will motivate me to finish (ALL OF THEM)
    I have to ask, what is the Tennessee scrap?

Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    My confession is that when I'm sewing and my husband has made a nice dinner and he calls out that dinner is ready, I secretly wish that I didn't have to bother with eating! Oh for heaven's sake, I am just getting these seams to line up for the first time this afternoon, and now to be called away!

But I know it's not good to complain that he made a nice dinner! I'm very fortunate.
    I don't feel so bad now....my DH actually brings dinner to me. I clean up the dishes when I'm ready, but dinner is handed to me on a platter. I love it.

Blog Entries
    LOL you have way more self control than I do LOL
    You are really doing great!! 15 quilts!! Wow :D:D:D

I would consider it a great accomplishment to complete one a month. I'm still working one three quilt tops two of which I started 15 years ago. I finished making all the blocks (136 four inch blocks for one of them this year) I don't work on my sewing every day at all...

I am an avid reader...or...I *used* to be.

I started my first quilt at the end of August this year. To that point, I'd read 55+ books (I was in a book worm challenge, to read 50 books for the year of 2010, I stopped counting at 55 which happened late July). Since I started my first quilt...I have not touched a single book. With the exception of quilting books and magazines. Since the end of August, I have nearly completed 4 quilts - tops, quilting, and binding (just working on tying/quilting the 4th), I have made two sets of quilted oven mitts and matching place mats, and 5 quilted purses, three of which were for charity/fund raising. Every spare moment I have is dedicated to planning, making, shopping and/or dreaming up quilts, and admiring them on here.

lol you are an addict-join the club

Raise your right hand and repeat after me .... I'm Fayza and I'm a fabriholic .... and there ain't no 12-step program that will help! :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by deema
    I am an avid reader...or...I *used* to be.

I started my first quilt at the end of August this year. To that point, I'd read 55+ books (I was in a book worm challenge, to read 50 books for the year of 2010, I stopped counting at 55 which happened late July). Since I started my first quilt...I have not touched a single book. With the exception of quilting books and magazines. Since the end of August, I have nearly completed 4 quilts - tops, quilting, and binding (just working on tying/quilting the 4th), I have made two sets of quilted oven mitts and matching place mats, and 5 quilted purses, three of which were for charity/fund raising. Every spare moment I have is dedicated to planning, making, shopping and/or dreaming up quilts, and admiring them on here.
    Sounds like we have lots in common, deema. I know what you mean by planning, shopping, making, and/or dreaming of my next creation. I have found so many patterns I want to do.... so in effort to help me while shopping for fabrics I have a small notepad that I carry in my purse with the names of the patterns, how many diff fabrics, and how much yardage to buy of each...... It helps me keep all those thoughts/dreams together and actually turn them into something. Oh heavens I do believe I have a serious problem...... I'm a quiltaholic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
    Raise your right hand and repeat after me .... I'm Fayza and I'm a fabriholic .... and there ain't no 12-step program that will help! :lol: :lol:
    You got that right!!! I've went nuts over fabrics and quilts but I'll let you all in on another confession...... I can't sew/make anything but quilts. I guess thats why they are piling up all over my house, quilts are the only thing I can create, and I cannot do it in moderation! HELP!!!!!

Ohhhhhhh I would jump up before he finished calling me. IF he cooks while you sew you have the envy of 90 % of the people on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover

Holy Cow! You've made 15 tops in a year? You must not have a job outside the home. Or they are crib size or smaller. Just wait, your fabric buying seems to get worse the longer you have this hobby (love/obsession). I've been quilting for 10 yrs. and about once a year I redo the boxes my stash is in and move them to larger boxes. The one kind of fabric I have the most of is for OBW's. I've at least 12 hunks for just those. Good Luck!
    What does OBW stand for?? I know what all the other abbreviations mean but this one I've been stumped.

OBW = One Block Wonder. See the picture under Fireworkslover's name. It is an example of what that person likes to make.

Blog Entries
    Wow!!!! I wish I had the time to do 15 quilts in a year.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast