Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting design inspirations. >

Quilting design inspirations.

Quilting design inspirations.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:19 AM

Thank you Bobbielinks, it's just the info I'm looking for and I believe you when you say it just takes off on it's own. Your work is beautiful.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee
How do you come up with the designs used for quilting. I stumble on this rather often .. usually with each quilt.
OK many respondents took this to mean patterns for pieced patchwork. I took this to mean quilting designs for the actual quilting. I call them quilting "motifs"

I go to loads of different sources. I love looking at 18th and 19th century architecture. The decorative elements on these buildings gives me loads of ideas.

Of course there are books. Karen McTavish books give lots of designs that she gives the buyer of the book complete rights to copy and enlarge to put on your quilts. Her designs are beautiful and always go together to form new motifs by mirror imaging them and placing the motif, or element as she calls them, side by side or in a medallion repeat. Any books on hand or machine quilting are usually full of motifs. Look at books by Diane Gaudinski or Harriet Hargrave for some ideas. I love the book The Essential Quilter.

Stencils and pantos are also great sources of inspiration.

Elements of nature such as leaves, ferns, tree bark, seashells, etc. I quilted a quilt using maple leaves I gathered in my yard last fall and put them in a pleasing repeat on tracing paper then transferred them to my quilt top to LA. But there is no reason you couldn't do it with Hand or DSM quilting.

Once you start looking for quilting motifs you will start to see them everywhere.
Yes this is exactly what I am looking for, thank you.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 AM

I do it the old fashion way with graph paper. When I get an idea I just start drawing. I then make a sample to see how I like my fabric color before I start cutting.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 AM

There's a great book by Melody Crust called 'A Fine Line'. It's all about how to design a quilting pattern to suit an individual quilt perfectly. See if your library can find it for you, it's worth taking a look at.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
There's a great book by Melody Crust called 'A Fine Line'. It's all about how to design a quilting pattern to suit an individual quilt perfectly. See if your library can find it for you, it's worth taking a look at.
Thanks for the headsup Ghostrider. I just ordered a used copy of the book. Looks like a good one.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee
How do you come up with the designs used for quilting. I stumble on this rather often .. usually with each quilt.
If you are talking about for the actual "quilting" vs. creating the top from a pattern, I usually let a top speak to me. If it doesn't, I go to webshots and do a search for similar quilts. It shows me what I like and what I do not....
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM

Thanks everyone. Your suggestions are helpful. I think it's interesting how each of you have found your way by being in tune or in touch with the quilt. It is art isn't it.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 AM

yes i think each quilt has its own voice and you just need to look at it for a little while before you start quilting
Old 05-14-2011, 06:48 AM

Go to Leah Day's site which is

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/

She is doing 365 days of quilting designs. I get a lot of ideas from her.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:04 AM

oh my, you do beautiful work! thanks for mentioning your link. do you freehand, mark or use stencils?