Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Design >

Quilting Design

Quilting Design

Old 12-05-2010, 08:45 AM

My Gosh, thank you thank you, thank you for all the input - I have learned alot. Using two battings one high loft and a regular sounds great. I want to thank all who responded to help me with this dilema. What a wonderul network for quilting friends to help other quilters out.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!
Bevster, Austin, TX
Old 12-05-2010, 12:56 PM

I've made a puff/ quillo quilt, it's like all little pillows, you can see it in my avitar
Old 12-05-2010, 02:59 PM

THOSE PUFF PILLOWS ARE REALLY NICE AND I AM SURE IT LOOKS GREAT ON THE BED.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:58 PM

The quilt I made for my husband for our anniversary was quilted by a long arm quilter and we had him use high loft batting and a wide pattern. Turned out great!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:02 PM

You would use small stippling to make certain areas stand out by densely quilting around the area(but not on)you want to stand out. If you want the whole quilt to stand out you don't want to do a lot of quilting, like do stitch in the ditch. It also matters what batting you use. You can use a high loft poly (I, myself do not use poly), or two layers of warm and natural. This works great. If the spaces are too great in-between the stitching you can always do crosses, or even little tacks every so many inches. What ever you do have fun.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Perhaps you mean a Trapunto style pattern by the word 'fluffy"? If you want something to puff up more than the background, you do very dense stippling in the background. If you want it to puff up more, you put two layers of batting (or more) under the bit you want to puff out. You sew an outline stitch around the shape and then cut away the excess batting on the back of the quilt. Then you sandwich the quilt in the normal way, with a full piece of batting inside the quilt top and backing.You then stipple around the shape and the double - layered areas will puff out distinctly.You also need to use a batting that will not flatten out, but keep its "puff" and be resilient.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM

I recently quilted a quilt for a customer who wanted a "puffy" quilt. I used 2 poly battings - Quilter's Dream Puff (really nice and thick) and Hobbs Poly Down (don't like, thin, won't use again). I did a larger design then I usually would, and it really puffed up nicely. Here is a picture of the leaf feathers on the border.

Leaf Feather Border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138850[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138845.jpe  
Old 12-05-2010, 08:17 PM

Beautiful quilting Farm quilter. Great example.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:51 PM

I really appreciate your question and all the answers. It's been helpful because I liki a quilt to have definition and be puffy. Thanks, Linda Rae
Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
Beautiful quilting Farm quilter. Great example.
Thank you! That was a large top border - probably 16" wide - so the "feathers" were huge compared to my normal feathers! It was fun to quilt this quilt, but definitely not like I normally quilt when I do custom - that's usually much smaller!