Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting dilema...how should I do this? >

Quilting dilema...how should I do this?

Quilting dilema...how should I do this?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:47 AM

Default Quilting dilema...how should I do this?

I have made a Christmas quilt with redwork blocks alternating with star blocks on the top. I used extra star blocks (from a swap) on the back. Now I don't know how to quilt it! Should I quilt in the redwork blocks, or would that "take away" from my handwork? The blocks are about 10" square, so probably will need some sort of quilting. And, then there's the back....since the stars on the back don't line up with those on the front, I think I'll just have to pretend they aren't even there. You can see a picture of the quilt here:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...94495901YXPNzM

Would you use a thread that sort of "disappears", or would you go with red, or green, or varigated? I'm at a standstill on this one!!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Love your quilt. Is the embroidery done in red? Hard for me to see. If it is, I would not do veriegated thread. Might be overpowering your embroidery. Either red or green, to go with your starblocks. Can you do small stars in the corners of your embroidery squares? That would bring the quilt stars to the embroidered squares. In the star blocks you could do anything you like. If you used warm and natural you can quilt up to 10 inches apart, however a little something with the embroidery might look nice. Love the quilt, I am sure you can come up with something. Other ideas are coming, I'm sure. Show us what you decide on, good luck!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM

Yes, the handstitching is in red, and I did sort of a running stitch, in red, about 1/4 inch in from the edge of all the white blocks....it only goes through the top and the batting, not the backing. I like your ideas of the stars! Thanks!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Yoy're welcome. Don't take away from your handwork, it is gorgeous. Post a picture under this thread when you have decided. Love to see it.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM

hi, great quilt. I would use white thread on your redwork blocks and maybe just outline the redwork, the way you would outline an appliqued block. that way, it is anchored and highlighted but the quilting doesn't take over. On the other blocks, use any color you want and quilt anyway you want. I would ignore the back and let it work itself out.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 PM

Beautiful quilt. I'd use red variegated thread, but that is usually my go to type of thread for quilting.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:59 PM

I agree with nycquilter. I think if you use colored thread on your embroidered blocks it will take away from your hand work. You want your beautiful hand work to be the focus, not the quilting. So I think keep the quilting simple on the rest of the quilt and don't worry about the back.