Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilting for dummies,

I myself, would like to have a place on the forum,
    where people like Me :) can ask questions, and feel
    at home asking, just a thought :)
    olgaflowers

You can feel at home asking questions right here : )

I think thats a great idea. I know that everyone asks and answers stuff in the main part but a part dedicated just to questions would be nice. Everyone here is so helpful that it might make the beginners less afraid to ask questions and I know the experienced quilters are great at answering them.

Hey we;re all friends here,ask away,someone will have an answer

Just thought it would be a easy fun place,
    for beginners,when I first starting quilting,
    someone said something about U.F.O's and I thought to myself,
    something else to worried about !
    all in fun :)

There are no stupid questions. Every time you ask a question there is someone else out there with the same question and will not dare ask it. We all had the same questions when we started and even the most experience ones can use the answers. No one knows everything.

I've been quilting for years and I still learn from questions others ask, esp the newbies. Please keep asking and never feel that your question is "dumb". Sometimes I'm afraid to ask that very same question and I'm so happy when I see someone else has the same concern. The search feature at the top of the page is very helpful but I really enjoy the questions and answers in this section.

Dummies learn from other dummies. Ask away, someime the very question you ask could be same one we need answered.

Feel free to ask here. Sometimes others are wondering the same thing, just afraid to ask. And again sometimes we just don't know what we think we do and need to.

as a relative newbie - i notice that the Main board is where many questions get asked. And when you put the topic in - it's going to draw attention to your question....Ex: Best thread?? Best batting??

Now - can someone tell me where my thimble is?? i am fixing my sister's quilt and can't find it :roll:

Maybe a section (or virtual one) where "old" posts (or tutes) about quilting basics are held, is that what you are talking about? I think that would be a good idea so we dont have questions about machine binding or scant quarter of an inch or pre-washing fabric every week or so in the main section.

Sometimes when you search, you dont know enough about what you are asking to search properly. quarter inch versus 1/4 in may search differently.

Do you realize that we have an adopt a quilter option here?

Blog Entries
    This is what the Main section of the board is for :wink: to ask questions :D
    There is a tutorial section here too, take some time to go through that section... there is a LOT of information there.

Try the search feature at the top of the page... use the advanced feature... you can search a topic by section of the board.

This is another good time to remind ourselves to make our topic headings descriptive :wink: so that searches can be more successful :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olgaflowers
    Just thought it would be a easy fun place,
    for beginners,when I first starting quilting,
    someone said something about U.F.O's and I thought to myself,
    something else to worried about !
    all in fun :)
    Well anytime you do not know what something means just ask.
    Even the ones who have been quilting for a long time do not know everything. We all can still learn something new. I have not met anyone yet who knows it all. I have met people who think they know it all. That is a whole different story.

If you search craftybear, she has a blog link for beginning quilting information and tuorials. Have a look, but don't be afraid to ask here. No one bites, lol, and no quilt police either. We all started somewhere.

I know it has been said, but there is no such thing as a dumb question! I have been quilting for more than 20 years and someone will ask a question and I will read the answer and go "Duh, I can't believe I never thought of that"! So your questions help all of us!

Blog Entries
    Hi, Olga! Also click on the "search" word right under Title line on the page and see if there are answers there. But feel free to ask away!

thanks, everybody ! :)

The thing is...
    I always read the main and the pictures. Don't always have time for other forums. Something to think about. I would place questions on the main forum where you are pretty sure to get an answer. I am a beginner too but I ask away.
    Some are duhh questions

You found the place. That's what goes on here. Ask a question, and usually someone will be right there with an answer. I unfortunately search for the answer to try and help, but by the time I get back here, there have been 10 people already helping. I think only once was I the first person to respond. So just keep asking those questions. It helps lots of us.

Blog Entries
    you can do that now! just find the right thread to ask it on!
    Welcome to the board, and i will help you anyway i can!
    everyone here is so helpful, i have learned alot from the men and women here! they are a blessing!

As stated above there is no such thing as a dumb question. This is the forum for asking any and all questions. Admin. also created the search feature so we can all look up and review topics already brought up. One problems is people don't necessarily ask their question correctly in the new topic which they are supposed to do. This gets questions asked and answered all out of wack. Also something that personally gripes me is that people don't read through the entire thread and re-ask the same thing over and over again when it has already been answered in that particular thread.

I know many people don't care but those of use that like to read thoughout the entire thread do get a bit aggrivated especially when it becomes a very long thread and you could have taken out about 3 or so pages because people didn't read through the entire thread. Just jumping into a topic where ever and making comments can really take the topic far off subject.

Also there is a welcome thread, tutorial thread, pictures thread, not quilting related thread, for sale thread and others when you first get onto the board. If all of these were used as the way they were set up to be used I believe things would go a lot smoother for everyone. Like someone else mentioned Craftybear and some others are just fabulous and finding links to help people out. I so enjoy reading, learning and just enjoying hearing how others do things.

I would think everyone would try and familiarize with all the available subject areas and go to the area that best suits their needs. I know Admin. has gone to great lengths to make this possible for the benefit of everyone on the board. This is hands down the best set up board available to any quilter on the net. So in my humble opinion it is our own responsibility to familiarize with how the board works to the best advantage for everyone.

Thanks Admin, and all Moderators for all you have done and continue to do to have such a fabulous board.

When you are new to this site though, none of this is known. Thru trial and error is it all figured out and asking of questions. In my opinion Many do not have the time to read thru 30 or more post so am sure that plays a big part into a lot of re-questions we live and we learn.I do not think it is intentional on anyones part to reask.

Blog Entries
    I for one find the questions to sometimes re-awaken something that was long forgotten or one not thought of and am so happy to see it.
    One wonderful thing about this forum is that everyone offers great information and advice or a sympathetic ear.

someone once told me the only dumb question is the one not asked. And it is very very True

Blog Entries
    Where better to ask questions than "where we talk about anything related to quilting"?

Questions seem to run through cycles as new people join. There are some who have been here a long time and are very good at using the search feature to find exactly the right thread where a topic has been discussed. That doesn't mean that another discussion should not happen, since quilting is evolving and new things are happening all the time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast