Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilting with an embroidery machine?

Whoa! You ladies have opened a window for me! It never occurred to me to embroidery on my quilts as a way of quilting. Please post pictures! Does anyone know of a tutorial for this? I have the hoop and embroidery machine. Maybe I should be using it in a different way. You really can quilt a sandwich in an embroidery machine? Tell me more, please.

Blog Entries
    I've done a little with my Viking embroidery unit in combination with a little FMQ, but really had it in my head that I wanted to learn FMQ so have kept at it, and things do get better with practice - and patience. I really love doing FMQ now, but naturally the throat of a domestic is pretty limiting So I just bought an affordable Sunshine 16 - WOW! It's great to work with and I believe it would be much easier to learn FMQ due to the space and how easily the quilt sandwich slides! The blue painters tape tip sounds like it would be worth trying so I may attempt that too - ALSO following along with Leah Day and a Craftsy Class - Sew many options!

Pictures pictures please

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
    I've done a little with my Viking embroidery unit in combination with a little FMQ, but really had it in my head that I wanted to learn FMQ so have kept at it, and things do get better with practice - and patience. I really love doing FMQ now, but naturally the throat of a domestic is pretty limiting So I just bought an affordable Sunshine 16 - WOW! It's great to work with and I believe it would be much easier to learn FMQ due to the space and how easily the quilt sandwich slides! The blue painters tape tip sounds like it would be worth trying so I may attempt that too - ALSO following along with Leah Day and a Craftsy Class - Sew many options!
    You can also do what they call "floating" your quilt on your hoop where you put the stablizer on the hoop and spray it with 505 or one like it and the place your quilt on top of the hoop. This method is also done with some fabrics that don't lend well to being hooped. Check emblibrary.com under kenny's corner or projects and he has things on this. Hatched in Aftrica and emblibrary.com and sewswell.com, plus many others have great quilting designs for many different sizes hoops. Viking even has two quilters hoops, so yes quilting your quilts with the embroidery machine can be done. Good l uck to you all. Leah Day's site is great. I'm just learning FMQ as well on my Viking Ruby.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I finished a lap size quilt on my embroidery machine. I would not recommend it for a larger quilt. The limited hoop area is the main reason, plus the weight of the quilt had to be supported in such a way as to prevent drag on the mechanism.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Has anyone tried something like a Snap-Hoop for this? Curious - have been thinking about maybe trying one and just wonder if anyone has had any success with something like that?

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I have a Janome 10001 with a giga-hoop and I use it for quilting. I just pin my top together, beginning in the middle, and hoop it. Remove the pins before quilting. There are loads of good websites with quilting designs. It looks beautiful!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2