Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and embroidery machine? >

Quilting and embroidery machine?

Quilting and embroidery machine?

Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 PM

Default Quilting and embroidery machine?

Ladies,
I've become curious about machines that quilt and do embroidery. What machines are capable and good for doing this? What is the price range of these machines?

I would want to use the machine to create quilt tops and create quilt labels. I don't want to actually quilt with it.

Thanks for any wisdom you have to share.
Ginger
Old 10-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Ginger---I too have been looking into this also, and that's exactly what I wanted to do, I wanted to use the machine to do my quilt labels on, but can I justify for the cost? I am looking into a brother 770, (but this is also an embroidery machine only) as I have looked and talked to several people, I have yet to go to my LQS to see one in action. I have a wonderful sewing machine (Janome 6500P), so I don't need the sewing part. And also am figuring out, what else I would be using it for besides just quilt labels. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 PM

I have the Singer Futura that embroiders and sews. I just love it! I bought it from the Home Shopping Network. I used their Flex Pay so the 699.00 plus didn't seem so hard paying for it. It's really a great machine.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:41 PM

I just got home from a 2 day Anita Goodesign party, we used Brother brand Emb. and sewing machines, I fell in love with the quantum 2 Sews and Emb. but way out of my price range, even with class discount, and extras added it was over $8,000 Was a wonderful machine but just too rich for my blood. I have a very good Jenomie for piecing and quilting so would hate to replace it
Old 10-29-2012, 03:01 AM

Does anyone else have any ideas? I keep thinking that to get a machine just for embroidery wouldn't be a good idea as I really just want to make labels.

TIA
Old 10-29-2012, 03:07 AM

I have a Viking Rose, but seldom use the embroidery function. If you are just looking to make labels, I would find someone who provided this service & have them made. My machine does not make labels I don't think I could justify the cost if that was all I wanted a new machine for. Also, machine embroidery can be quite expensive with the thread & stabilizer costs.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 AM

Thanks Donnajean--you're probably right! I have a Viking Sapphire and I love it. I haven't begun to look into the cost of these machines. That too would probably make my decision for me!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:45 AM

I have a Janone 6600 sewing machine, and a Brother 770, I like the machines seperate. I can embroider while I sew, many of the embroidery designs can take a while to embroider, so sewing to fill in the time is the best time manangement for me.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 AM

Depends on your budget. I have a Bernina Aurora 440 but they don't make this particular model any longer. You could check with your local quilt shops and see if any have gently used machines that come with a warranty and perhaps even new user lessons. That way you won't break the bank but you will get quality and service.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 AM

Like Dyan, I prefer to have separate sewing and embroidery machines, so I can "multitask". Many of the embroidery designs I use for quilts take 2 hours or more, so I can sew on the sewing machine while the embroidery machine is doing its thing. I have a Janome 6600 sewing machine ($1300) and a Janome 350e embroidery machine ($1400)--love them both.

If you are only going to use the embroidery machine for labels, you might consider using your computer to print the label onto transfer sheets, which you iron onto fabric to make the label. I have made many labels using this technique.