Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with embroidery module >

Quilting with embroidery module

Quilting with embroidery module

Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 AM

I have several OESD embroidery CDs (Quilting from the Heart, Delicate Stitch, Best of Quilting) that allow you to quilt feathered circles or other gorgeous designs. I think you are supposed to embroider on the quilt sandwich. I have not done this, but I'm sure that someone out there has. How has it worked out for you? What did you do on the sashings or borders? Did you have trouble hooping the block when it was attached to a whole finished quilt? Did you use sticky-backed stabilizer or did you actually hoop the block? Thanks in advance for any ideas or help!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 AM

I dont like sticky back stabilizer, I will pin the fabric to the stabilizer (tear a way) . Experiment on scraps and see what works for you.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 AM

I did a baby quilt using a design from Emblibrary. I centered each block(in the completed quilt,not individually) onto sticky stabilizer, did not have any sashing/borders on this quilt. It turned out OK but even with a small quilt you will have to watch out for it trying to pull from the weight.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 AM

I did a small quilt and clipped my quilt to a frame, not in the frame just clipped to it with binder clips. simple design and it worked out good. it was easier to move around when just clipped to the frame...I did alot of stablizing with my hands when it first started so it wouldn't shift...designs with open lines work best
Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

you don't need any stabilizer if you are simply stitching out a quilt motif versus a dense embroidery design. You hoop the entire quilt sandwich.

The best way to do it is to spray the bottom of your INNER hoop with 505 adhesive spray. Place your hoop template in the hoop, and set the hoop and template on top the quilt and line it up precisely. Then slide the outer hoop beneath the quilt and snap it together. The sticky inner hoop won't move, you can fine tune it once attached to your machine with your machine functions.

Make sure to adjust your tensions so that they are balanced, as embroidery tensions aren't the same as sewing tensions... for embroidery the upper thread is pulled to the bottom, you don't want that for quilting.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanks, that's really helpful...will try it. I'm comfortable with embroidery, just not with the idea of trying to quilt a quilt with it.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 PM

I have a Quilters hoop for my Designer SE. It has a light weight fabic inner hoop and a Heavy weight inner hoop. It works great. You hoop the quilt without stabilizer. The batting is heavy enough. I ruined a lap quilt by using stabilizer. I couldn't get it off of the quilt back. I must have washed it a dozen times and never did get all of it off. Put it in the closet and still has no binding. What is the use it is ruined anyway. Just don't have the heart to toss it...