Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and fabric sites >

Quilting and fabric sites

Quilting and fabric sites

Old 11-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Moonpi, if I use the "Favorites" instead of Bookmarks, will I lose all of these if my computer crashes?
I am wondering if I should be using my Yahoo or Google Bookmarks instead....
Old 11-22-2009, 04:54 PM

When I used a PC I saved favorite sites in my "Favorites". Now that I have a Mac I save my favorite sites in my "Bookmarks" (the little 'plus sign' on the top left hand side of the screen--just to the right of the backwards and forward arrows). What kind of computer are you using?

I've never had my computer crash so I don't know if you would lose the info or not. I keep a miniature address book next to my computer and I put into it the names of all my favorite forums, sites, etc. along with the password and username that I need for each. Any of the passwords that would be unsafe for snoopy eyes to see I just make a code that only I would understand to remind me which password I would need for that site.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Originally Posted by butterflywing
sorry - i should have explained this better. when you bookmark a site or any information from that site, it's only as permanent as the site. think of the site as a store. you get whatever as you need it. maybe one at a time. but if the store closes, you can't get anything anymore. bookmark is the store. when the store shuts, everything you ever bought there is gone.

on the mac, or somewhere else on windows, there is finder. finder, or something else, is your house. whatever you bought at the store, is safely at home with you even f the store closes down. if the store closes, you have your thing in your pantry at home. you can't lose it. think of the site as the store here, too.
That is done by preserving a cached image of a website. For obvious reasons, some parts are not always preserved, like 20-year old pricing on stuff. The most well-known of these is called the Wayback Machine, after the old cartoon machine.

http://www.archive.org/index.php

It does not bookmark your sites, but often, you can find things there that you thought were gone forever. If you've ever Googled a subject and seen "cached" in the description, it was preserved as an archive, not necessarily as the current site version.
if a site goes out, don't you lose everything you ever took from that site?
with Finder, you keep everything, including the site itself.

Nov 22, 2009 19:54:49 Subject: Re:Quilting and fabric sites
When I used a PC I saved favorite sites in my "Favorites". Now that I have a Mac I save my favorite sites in my "Bookmarks" (the little 'plus sign' on the top left hand side of the screen--just to the right of the backwards and forward arrows). What kind of computer are you using?

[quote=cabbagepatchkid]I've never had my computer crash so I don't know if you would lose the info or not. I keep a miniature address book next to my computer and I put into it the names of all my favorite forums, sites, etc. along with the password and username that I need for each. Any of the passwords that would be unsafe for snoopy eyes to see I just make a code that only I would understand to remind me which password I would need for that site.[quote]

yes, i have a mac. sometimes i bookmark, sometimes i Finder. it depends on how much i love it. sometimes i print it out so i can study it while i watch t.v. i have the same exact password for all quilt and craft related sites. i have a 'real' mailbox for household, personal business. that one has a secret password.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Originally Posted by butterflywing
sorry - i should have explained this better. when you bookmark a site or any information from that site, it's only as permanent as the site. think of the site as a store. you get whatever as you need it. maybe one at a time. but if the store closes, you can't get anything anymore. bookmark is the store. when the store shuts, everything you ever bought there is gone.

on the mac, or somewhere else on windows, there is finder. finder, or something else, is your house. whatever you bought at the store, is safely at home with you even f the store closes down. if the store closes, you have your thing in your pantry at home. you can't lose it. think of the site as the store here, too.
That is done by preserving a cached image of a website. For obvious reasons, some parts are not always preserved, like 20-year old pricing on stuff. The most well-known of these is called the Wayback Machine, after the old cartoon machine.

http://www.archive.org/index.php

It does not bookmark your sites, but often, you can find things there that you thought were gone forever. If you've ever Googled a subject and seen "cached" in the description, it was preserved as an archive, not necessarily as the current site version.
moonpi, i looked at that link. i didn't understand a thing. what should i have been looking for?