Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting with fashion fabric? >

quilting with fashion fabric?

quilting with fashion fabric?

Old 11-11-2015, 03:16 PM

Over the years, I have made several quilts with non-cottons/garment scraps. Sometimes it surprises you which ones wear better and which shred to pieces after 20-30 years.

Suggest you don't go for a "precision" block, i.e., stick to squares & rectangles rather than triangles. Poly blends do not press a crease really well.

I did one quilt using two different widths of blocks, maybe 6" & 8", each width had 3 sizes of rectangles plus it's own square. Garment makings from the early, mid 80s, so it was autumn, golds/oranges/rusts/greens/blues.

6"x 2", 4", 6", 8" and the same thing on the 8" width.

I did alternating columns the length of the quilt, laying out the blocks on a work space, so they never shared a seam. Used a very thick batting, tied along the columns seams. Did a japanese style wrap around backing to front to form an 8" mitered binding. I just googled that style of border, and don't find anything. My mom had a book...
Old 11-11-2015, 03:58 PM

Yep! You just might need a different needle for your machine & as others have suggested, some fabrics need to be reinforced. I stand by my belief that a quilt made all with the same fabric will wear more evenly, but not all quilts are destined to be heirlooms. I'm sure your quilt will be quite lovely. Can't wait to see a picture! Some of my most favorite quilts are using non-traditional fabrics & materials in their constructions.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:59 AM

I personally would use them in a crazy quilt.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Polyester will make a warm quilt that will never wear out.
When I met my husband, 37 years ago, he had a quilt that his grandmother made him
Remember those double knits from that time? We still have that thing and the front is in perfect condition. The back needs to be replaced because it looks like she used a sheet.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
I personally would use them in a crazy quilt.
That's what I was thinking, remember they use velvet, silk all types of fabric. Will you be using the quilt? You will have to take into consideration the durability of the fabrics.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 AM

The best lasting, still looked brand new, baby quilt my kids had was a polyester double knit, done as a crazy quilt, that was quilted/joined using decorative stitches to join the "raw" edges. It was done in pinks and quilted with yellow. That silly thing is still being used in our family. My first baby was born 39 1/2 years ago and the little quilt is still fresh as new. It was two layers of double knit with no batting.

Last edited by madamekelly; 11-12-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:24 AM

I think as long as you use washable fabrics you will be fine. My DM used to make some of her quilts with fashion fabrics and they were very pretty.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:31 PM

You can also make scrappy look pillows for your beds and/or sofas. I took scraps, cut into strips sewed together and made the yoke for a jacket from it. Took leftovers of that for the lapel of the pocket and cuffs on the sleeves. Others have suggested making a victorian type crazy quilt which looks dynamite with all sort of added laces, buttons,etc. Pretty much these days you can do whatever you want with whatever fabrics you want it seems. The crazier the better as it turns out as a "one of a kind".
Old 11-12-2015, 02:41 PM

I appreciate the insight and responses! I don't have one for fashion fabrics in the plans right now, but it gives me a way to use those bits and pieces left over that are too small for other projects, but I can't bear to toss any out that could be used "somehow". Pet beds for the local shelter are an awesome idea. (I also have plans to make fabric "nests" for local wildlife rescue organizations this winter. They always have an influx of orphan baby animals in the spring and it would be a great way to use leftover quilting materials)
Old 11-12-2015, 05:14 PM

think about some of the crazy quilts with their bits of velvet and lace and whatever was around. I think the only thing you would need to be worried about would be if certain pieces would shrink (prewash everything), if certain pieces would bleed (again, check by prewashing), if it stretches (stabilize it) and will it be difficult to quilt through (test it). Other than that - go for it! Quilting is supposed to be fun and there are no quilt police!