Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilting and Fingernails.

Blog Entries
    Short and cracked. My nails reject artificial product, so I just deal with the unmanicured look. Call me rough and tumble.

No long nails here, so no problems.

Blog Entries
    I just cut 2/3 of my nails off and they are down to your lengths now, mine grow very fast and do not chip until they get too long. I do not hand quilt, but they are handy for hand sewing. AND my grandsons love to play with my nails when they are longer while watching tv on my lap...it's better than a fidget stone :lol: :lol: :lol:

I work in a hospital and when I started we were told "no artificial nails ". Mine are very short and give me no problems.

My nails are weak and break just about the time I think they look good. But I do hand quilting with a thimble and occassionally use a nail to get in a position that I can't get the thimble into. I am left handed and use my right thumb and forefinger to rock the fabric after I guage the stitch length with my thumb! :?

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I tend to use my left thumb (and nail) as a guide for spacing stitches...does anyone else do this??
    I do this. I keep my nails short. But my thumb nails are just a hair longer so I can feel the needle point and then guide it back through to the other side. My thumb nails looks pretty bad when I am hand quilting quite a lot.

Kyia

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Thimbles - I never found one I could get on with and then on a trip to England a while ago, a guy in a fabric store got me to try the Roxanne's thimble - silver plated, 30 pounds sterling (nearly 50 dollars)! I said ooh no, too expensive what if I don't like it? But Hans MADE me buy it (he's so enabling! :D ) And now I don't know how I managed without it all this time! I've even been to the loo and forgotten I was wearing it until, well, you can guess when - it involves paper! :lol:

K, I too use a Roxanne thimble like yours. But I was young and foolish and bought mine in gold. It is great. I used to have long fake nails, but nowdays nurses can't wear them, so it's a moot point. But I still love my thimble.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    [quote=gaigai]

I used to have long fake nails, but nowdays nurses can't wear them
    Well, not the REAL nurses who work in hospitals, anyway! :wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, not the REAL nurses who work in hospitals, anyway! :wink:

Yeah, that would be me! And I guess I'm going to be working a lot more than I had planned, because I just found out my lab needs to have surgery to the tune of $2,000.00. Yes, that was two thousand dollars. Evidently she has "laryngeal paralysis". Very early, but what happens is eventually the dog can't breathe. The surgery is to tie open one of the vocal cords so air can pass. Fortunately it's early, and I have time to earn some big bucks. The things we do for our furbabies!!!! So if I'm not around on the QB much for the next month or so, it's because I'm trying to work extra. Fortunately I went to see MY doc last week, and he gave me some stay-awake medicine!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Oh poor doggie! AND I'm sorry for your wallet too Gai! I guess you don't have pet insurance? I used to have it in England but vets are much cheaper here so we don't bother.

Banned
    i keep mine short. just easier on me and the stuff i do

Thimbles - I never found one I could get on with and then on a trip to England a while ago, a guy in a fabric store got me to try the Roxanne's thimble - silver plated, 30 pounds sterling (nearly 50 dollars)! I said ooh no, too expensive what if I don't like it? But Hans MADE me buy it (he's so enabling! :D ) And now I don't know how I managed without it all this time! I've even been to the loo and forgotten I was wearing it until, well, you can guess when - it involves paper! :lol:
    with long fingernails, - know just what you mean...OWWWY!!!! :cry:

Blog Entries
    My nails are about the same length as yours, and I wear a finger guard on the left forefinger, because I tended to let the needle hit the back of that nail and was ruining it. I have never been able to keep going long enough to develop a callous. On the right hand, I wear an open backed thimble, as I could never keep a regular shaped thimble on that finger, my nail was always hitting the top inside.

Blog Entries
    I keep my nails short. I find if I let them grow out long I end up scratching myself, mostly in the eye. The last time I scratched my eye with my French Manicured fingernail it cost over $600 and I was miserable for two weeks. Not worth it to me.

[/quote] Re finger nails, I keep mine short but that's because I garden as well and often without gloves, so I have to be able to get the dirt out of my nails easily before I can sew! [quote]

Me, too, I totally forget the gloves when I'm walking about and of course I always find a weed that needs pulling or a plant that needs some mulch moved. The other problem is my nails are very weak, all the water and soap for caring for Roy kept my hands raw and bleeding a lot until I finally found Dial green tea and honey pump soaps. That helped a lot.
    Sharon

Hey,

I have callas on both my first and second fingers of my left hand. I also quilt with both hands and wear a short black leather thimble on my left thumb I use it to push the needle when I am quilting with my left hand.

My natural nails are about the length shown in the picture and I don't think about them one way or another.

Wow, I wish my nails looked as nice as yours do! Over the last year or so mine have gotten little ridges, thin and splitting all the time. When they do grow out a bit I have to trim them all the way back cuz they have 'snags' all over them.

I know some professional quilters who have extraordinarily long nails, I don't know how they do it, LOL.

warm quilt hugs, sue

Lyn
    My nails are short. Besides quilting I garden and paint so nails just get in the way.

I always keep mine filed to the tip of my finger. Any longer, and I forget they are long and end up breaking them.

Mine are generally a little longer but had to cut them today in fact. I broke one and didn't want to break another.

I feel naked with short nails!

mine are about the same length as yours. well, not 'mine' mine. but i paid for them, so they're mine. they don't get in my way at all. when i garden, i remember to wear gloves. i keep the gloves in the tool bucket. when they get much longer, i immediately cut them back to that same length. i also keep them polished, sometimes with clear, to give them extra strength.

Blog Entries
    Mine are about the same length as yours. I use the open type thimble when I hand quilt so that the nail can poke out. I don't find that they cause any problem one way or the other.

I found if my nails are longer, I rake them across a bar of soap before I go garden. That way the soap is lodged under them instead of dirt. I just hate gloves..I'm trying to train myself to wear the latex gloves to garden in (we had boxes of them left from when DH needed me to nurse him back to health)...so I had plenty. They make my hands sweat tho'

Hey I use my natural nails doing that, thumb nail is extra hard. Eventually I poke a hole in the nail and have to clip it short.

My natural nails are a wee bit longer than those in the photos and they work great for sewing and even finger pressing seams, they are very hard. They work for a stylus too for marking a line on fabric. Just another tool, and free too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast