Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting fleece >

quilting fleece

quilting fleece

Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM

I have a cotton patchwork front and want to put fleece on the back.. I have read what has been said about using a walking foot but may I ask another question.. Do you quilt with the back upmost or the front, anyone know which would be the easiest re stretching etc. I am guessing front but want to make sure. Thank you
Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned

quilting fleese is too much aggrivation. I don't do it.
Having said that.......whichever way you do it. I would baste well and then add additional large straight pins in front of the walking foot to keep all the layers flat. Go slow as well. You really need to maintain good control over the fabric to keep all the layers flat and prevent puckering.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM

The only way I will quilt fleece is with a good quality basting spray.

Spread the fleece, with the good side down, spray the fleece, then spread the pieced top evenly over the fleece. When using fleece, you really don't need any batting. But if you do, choose a very thin batting. I don't like spraying the basting spray on the pieced top because it might soak through.

I also, after quilting, trim the the fleece two inches wider than the top all the way around. Then I pull it over the top and hem it all around. Gives a nice edge and is very sturdy.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

i just finished a queen sized quilt with a fleece back...it quilted up so nice! i did not have any problems at all with this ; in fact was thinking...i really should do more quilts this way they turn out so good! :thumbup:
i had no problems with stretching, wrinkles/creases, tension or anything else...lint was non-existant (unlike using a cotton back)
if you are doing this on your regular sewing machine i recommend the darning/quilting foot...instead of the walking foot. my walking foot caused lots of distortion...pulling on the fleece where as the hopping foot does not cause any drag.
when you get ready to (make your sandwich) lay the batting out nice and smooth. batting next (if using it) then smooth the top over all and baste well.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned

I love quilting with fleece it realy quilts up nicely. If you are doing it on a longarm I always put my slevage edges on the sides to help prevent it. If you have some long pieces of selvages from another fabric you can pin them to all the edges to help with the stretch and distortion. On a d.s.m. then you would baste the tar out of it with your method of basting.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 AM

Thank you all, I have more confidence to try, I am doing it on a standard machine. Will do a small sample first.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM

I have done several throw size with a fleece backing and love how they come out but I do use a basting spray to prevent stretching----and use a grid quilting or stitch in the ditch.(so far)
They are so nice and warm.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM

I have made a couple quilts with fleece as the backing. I used basting spray, both 505 and the June Taylor, and they both held great without pinning. I used my walking foot and a regular foot without any problems. I am not at all confident in my FMQ and just did stitch in the ditch. Turned out great! My DD freezes even in the summer so I used warm and natural in the quilt. She loves it because it is so cozy and warm.