Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting FPP >

Quilting FPP

Quilting FPP

Old 09-14-2023, 04:14 AM

Default Quilting FPP

I'd like to hear how you quilt your FPP projects. Do you stitch in the ditch or do an allover pattern or both? I'm including pictures of the two projects that need quilting. Thank you.

Edit to add: The lion is from Hobby Landing on Etsy. Their Floral Big Cats pattern.
The eye is from Pride and Joy Quilting on Etsy and is called Window of the Soul.
Attached Thumbnails florallion.jpg   windowsoul.jpg  

Last edited by jjs56; 09-14-2023 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:13 AM

I'm impressed! I would want stitches to show as little as possible because the designs are clear and graphic. Maybe a straight stitch in a matching thread color, or small zigzag if you need better coverage. Your work is beautiful!
Old 09-14-2023, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Very nice job on both! For me, quilting on FPP (for those of you who are wondering, it's Foundation Paper Pieced) quilts is the same as for other types of quilts with strong motifs. You want to accentuate the desired lines of the design while taking attention away from pieced lines that are not part of the design. For example, in the lion's mane I would use a lot of different thread colors and use flowing lines. I might trapunto his nose, and add veins in a slightly contrasting or darker color to the flowers. The background might be crosshatched or done in soft curves with a light blue thread, crossing the piecing lines to make them less visible.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:44 AM

Gorgeous! At my skill in quilting, I would bring these two to a custom quilter we have in the area and get an estimate for how much she would charge to do them. If you are an experienced and skilled quilter, I would look at the suggestions Dunster made and also look at the quilting done on Pinterest or other format for custom quilting on these types of appliques, paper pieced quilts.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:14 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

Dunster hit the nail on the head. Great job on both of those pieces.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:27 PM

Thank you all for the kind words and a special thanks for the tips! Gives me things to think about!