Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting frame vs quilting hoop--which one? >

Quilting frame vs quilting hoop--which one?

Quilting frame vs quilting hoop--which one?

Old 01-09-2014, 02:07 PM

Default Quilting frame vs quilting hoop--which one?

I've just finished piecing queen Vintage Churn Dash quilt. Every other block is 12" with a design in the middle that will also need to be quilted. I've got the quilt on a frame from JoAnn's but my question is how do I quilt around each small piece within the 12" block that is the churn dash. With a frame do I have to reposition the block each time I change direction I want to quilt. Is there where I might need to consider changing to a round 16" or 18" wooden quilting hoop?
Old 01-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

one of the reasons many people choose to use a hoop instead of a frame- unless you are good at stitching in different directions you have to turn the piece or the frame to change directions- or, learn to change directions while stitching so you can quilt the complete area available in the frame- look at some U-Tube videos on hand quilting - you can refine the search to find ones using frames, hoops, and no 'equipment' (lots of us do not use a frame or a hoop) there are lots of tutorials out there to show you how to go about it.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

I have both, and use the hoop much more than the frame. The frame shows a large area to stitch, but I can only stitch in straight lines. The hoop lets me turn as much as I like so that I can do all the curves that will be in the design.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have both, and use the hoop much more than the frame. The frame shows a large area to stitch, but I can only stitch in straight lines. The hoop lets me turn as much as I like so that I can do all the curves that will be in the design.
Have you ever used the hoop with the stand? I found one on internet "Quilters Wonder Hoop Floor Stand". Ever tried it? It sounds like it would be great for hand quilting!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

My hoop is just the one that you can hold in your lap, or rest on the edge of a table. I've thought about getting one with a stand, but just have not gotten around to it.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 PM

I have an oval hoop with a stand, a round lap hoop, an ez3 frame, and a large floor frame. For large (queen and king) quilts I like to use the large floor frame because it is easier for me than all the basting for the hoops. I use the EZ3 for full and twin sizes mostly. The oval I use for projects that will take longer, like show quilts with fancy quilting. The lap hoop is my favorite to use because I can recline in my favorite chair to quilt, and in the winter the extra covering of the quilt I am working on is so nice and warm. In the summer I don't use the lap hoop.