Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting guild or club? >

Quilting guild or club?

Quilting guild or club?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:38 AM
CRO

Default Quilting guild or club?

What do members do that belong to them? Is it just to get together to sew? Sorry never heard of one before joining this board.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 AM

I am involved with a quilting group who meets monthly to make quilts for cancer patients. It is a fun time and there are no rules other than to meet, sew beautiful quilts and friendship.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

guilds tend to have many activities, some are large groups who have nationally known designers/authors come in & teach or have workshops, they have a business meeting monthly- a group meeting, show & tell- do community work, teach new techniques (our local guild is large- well over 100 members, some of them are internationally known quilters, authors; we make placemats for the meals-on-wheels program and pediatric quilts for our local hospital- among other regular projects) they also put on a pretty large quilt show every other year- you need to be a member to enter a quilt or project.
i also belong to a couple smaller sewing/quilting groups- we get together & work on projects together- sometimes for a fundraiser for a local event or organization- sometimes we see a project a member made & the rest of us want to learn how to do it- so we get together & learn it as a group - we make sleeping bags for the homeless & quilts for the women's resource center shelters, and pet quilts for a local animal shelter/hospital...
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I belong to three guilds and one quilting group and instruct a once a month community quilting class. The guilds have a program once a month, usually a workshop from a guest teacher once a month. We do community service by donating quilts to local shelters and hospitals. We have sew days several times a month. The guild plans trips to quilt shops and shows. We have retreats several times a year. My guilt group meets once a month at a community center to sew on anything we want. The community quilt class meets and has show and tell of the work from the month before and everyone gets the block patterns from the next month. I can have a place to go every day of the week to sew and be with friends if choose to. I did go three or four days a week but now it's limited to about six days a month now that I started keeping my grandson during the day.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:42 AM

I just recently joined a guild - they have teachers, sponsor a quilt show and do many projects during the year. One can be as involved as you choose. I usually go to the "work days" one day a week - but mostly go for the companionship. It is a nice way to meet people and learn new techniques. Love the show and tell - it inspires me.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 AM

I belong to a sewing group. We meet twice a month. We sponsor an annual quilt show, do a food drive twice a year, make donation quilts, made heart pillows for patients undergoing treatment at a breast cancer treatment center, and leg cozies for the local nursing home among other things. No one is under any obligation to do or participate in any project. We have about 30 members from age 17 to 80. We have a grand time of fellowship and learning.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:09 PM

I belong to a guild where participation in any of the activities is voluntary. Sometimes I may join in a sew in for a charity project or I may give a demo on a technique, pattern, etc. Or I will simply socialize. If I was expected to do anything, I would run in the opposite direction! I have met so many nice quilters I would not otherwise meet. I also belong to a longarm club, and it is totally voluntary. Nice people there, too.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:16 PM

You can find quilting guilds in your area by looking up "quilting guilds in (your state, province, etc.)

Last edited by Luv Quilts and Cats; 04-20-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 PM
CRO

Thank you all for the info. I think I will try to find a club or guild and attend a meeting or two to find where I might be comfortable. As a very rank self taught beginner I don't want to feel intimidated by my lack of knowledge or technique, but would like to have somewhere to go to learn.