Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting help for applique >

Quilting help for applique

Quilting help for applique

Old 12-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Default Quilting help for applique

So I've only done two applique's before - one was super easy and the other one went in the garbage LOL

I have successfully applique'd all the pieces onto the fabric (and the batting and the backing) but now I have no clue how to quilt it.

Should I use all white? Should I use some colour (I have LOTS of colours, so feel free to give lots of options!)

When I quilt it, does it go over the applique?

Should I just do a FMQ kind of stitch all over? I was thinking of doing something like blue at the bottom for water ... I don't know ... so here i am looking for that awesome advice again!

Thanks all!

OK - I don't know how to rotate it ... sorry!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539097[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0336.jpg  
Old 12-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

here's a recent post that may provide some info for you http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t273878.html
Old 12-30-2015, 04:09 PM

There are lots of ideas online about quilting an applique project. I would do a google search or go to Pinterest and search "quilting around applique". On the applique projects I have done, including a bed-size quilt for DGD, I did not quilt over the applique as I wanted it to stand out. I did an outline stitch near the applique and then on the wall-hanging projects I did a meander in the background. Actually, on the wall-hangings, I first stitched on the very edge of the applique pieces in a color that matched the applique piece. Mine were made with fusible web and finished as a raw edge applique. Your piece is very pretty!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

and your quilt is already very pretty
Old 12-30-2015, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I'm going to either do swirls or straight lines in the background however looking at other quilts online that have appliqué with straight lines in the background I'm pretty sure they did the straight lines 1st and then the appliqué because this is going to be a pain if I decide to do the straight-line or straight lines in the background however looking at other quilts online that have appliqué with straight lines in the background I am pretty sure they did the straight lines 1st and then the appliqué because this is going to be a pain if I decide to do the straight-line Learning as I go Lol
Old 12-31-2015, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

I always outline the applique first. Then if you are good at swirls, I would do that otherwise I would crosshatch the background. Might consider doing a diamond pattern. Hope you can see the quilting in this Bible bag.
Attached Thumbnails sq-sq-closeup.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 06:30 AM

I would not quilt all over. Outline quilt close to the applique then 1/4 inch away. SID around edge between BG and border then decide if you need more around applique or not. I like Manics' suggestion of diamonds in background. Or diamond border quilting.