Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting for Hire - To Be or Not To Be >

Quilting for Hire - To Be or Not To Be

Quilting for Hire - To Be or Not To Be

Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 AM

I also got sucked into the ads saying the machine will pay for itself within a year. I have owned my Statler Stitcher for 3 years now and have made less than $3000. I would have to make over $100 per day for a year to pay for the machine. I know I do beautiful work, usually less then 2 week turn around (because I only get one at a time)am a really nice person, and don't charge that much. Our quilt guild has around 200 members and my business cards are at the LQS. I don't get it. Luckily I have my full time bookkeeping and tax return business to pay the bills. I guess the bright side to all this is that I have alot of time to make and quilt my own quilts!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Hi,
One important question you need to ask yourself to is can you physically handle all the hours you would need to put in on a daily basis to do quilting full time. There are days when my shoulders and back ache from longarming too much. Plus if you happen to be lucky enough to have quilts coming in regularly than it cuts into your own sewing time. There are times when I haven't even been able to touch my own sewing for 6 weeks and then when I had the time I didn't have the energy to sit down to sew. There is alot to think about - plus the current economy does effect how much business you might have - people are tightening up everywhere they can.

Good luck on your decision,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
I agree with Sherryl ,

Long hours tied to machine..my shoulders ache...and when you have a job outside the home you can leave it....I don't ever leave my job.

I find my job rewarding and I love being home with my kids..and I love working with quilters (the best bunch around for the most part)..I love the creative side of this job it offers me an outlet..plus I am attracted to many of the "same" types of things when I quilt for myself..when I have to get outside of my box and try to read a quilt and interpret someone else' work and they end up LOVING it I feel truly rewarded. However, I am learning through this blessing that I need to create more balance in my life and start fine tuning my business hours so I can be with my true love more ...my family.

She is also right....I don't think I have worked on any of my own projects for about 5 months or so?? and I was pretty prolific before I started......

YOu are going to get just as much positive and negative remarks on this thread...and nobody can make this call for you..I was stressed when I made the choice..and I just followed my heart...you will have to do the same.
Blessings to you!
Charisma
Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM

Thank you all for your feedback and input. Your wisdom and helped me make a decision. My initial plan is to do enough to pay off all of my outstanding debt (son's student loan and car loan) and keep the 9 to 5 for now. It is just me - no spouse, no kids, no partner. I am thinking this is going to be a part-time enterprise and test drive the road for a bit. I have the room to spreadout and do it right, but don't have to take on more than I can manage. I will keep you posted on how the first project for hire works out. I know one thing - I am tired of quilting for others who do not appreciate your talent and effort. NO MORE FREEBIES. :-)
Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by crochetetc
I would say no, reason being is that once it becomes a job you might lose interest and not enjoy your hobby anymore.
I agree....it's such a great hobby with so many things to try .that if I had to make a quilt as a job it would take all the enjoyment out of it for me.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Banned

NO....run screaming for the hills first....

BUt if you think you want to do..do all the homework first. Becoming a biz is hard work. You have to know the tax laws, the zoning laws, what you insurance will require, it just goes on and on....jobs are hard to come by...be grateful you have one and keep it for a while longer!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:25 AM

I wasn't sucked in by any ads, I really wanted a longarm, but I knew going in that I would have to do it as a business if I wanted one. But if I knew then what I know now I would have continued quilting on my regular machine.

Longarm
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by andifar
I am feeling these repeated requests are a sign that it is time for me to jump into my own quilting business, with the goal to leave the corporate zoo behind as the activity ramps up. I would be honored to have your input - should I consider making a shift from hobby to professional. I have a mid arm quilting machine and frame, 4 sewing machines, serger, and low-end embroidery machine. Equipment is not an issue to get started.

What do you think?
I personally would not see converting a hobby to a profession a problem by itself, some of the most successful entrepanuers are those that have pursued a passion. But it requires that you not just be successful at the passion, but at business as well. Marketing is key, you have to know how to market and sell yourself - where and how to advertise. Word of mouth may work in the short term, but it won't bring you to retirement. You also need to make sure that the income the business brings can afford the other expenses that were not present when it was a hobby - insurance, marketing, advertising, and any professional services (accountants, web designers and hosting, etc.). I still work for a living so I can provide insurance, our business could NOT afford health insurance for the two of us.

And you have to consider the intangibles - will you enjoy being home all the time? Will you miss the interaction with co-workers? Do you have the self discipline to get the job done instead of playing? And will you still enjoy working on YOUR OWN stuff when your done "working"?

After you've considered everything and figure you can make a go of it, I say LIVE THE DREAM!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 AM

I just set up my Pinnacle Frame and Juki, for my personal quilting, but decided I might take in a quilt top here or there just to bring in a little money...nothing big. I don't want to lose sight of what I enjoy, which is piecing and quilting. I still have lots to learn, but don't ever think I would do this full time. Like the others said, I don't want to lose the Joy that all of my own projects bring me.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:53 AM

Yes, be sure to do no more freebies!!!!