Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Invisible Thread >

Quilting with Invisible Thread

Quilting with Invisible Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Default Quilting with Invisible Thread

Hello Everyone,

I am making my first T-Shirt quilt and I really do not want to quilt on the shirt designs and a friend suggested invisible thread to quilt with. Has anyone every quilted with invisible thread on a long arm?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Quiltbaby
Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

I have quilted on my domestic machine with YLI nylon monofilament invisible thread in top and bobbin; have not tried it yet with my midarm. If you use this thread, there are some tips you need to know. It is a stretchy thread, so you need to reduce the upper tension a *lot*. Also, you need to wind the bobbin slowly (so as not to stretch the thread while winding), and not fill the bobbin more than 3/4ths full.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:26 PM

I use invisible thread only on wall hangings. It pops so easily that I don't know if it would hold up to frequent washings or stretchings. To be on the safe side, make a small sandwich and give it a test try to see if it holds before you do an entire quilt.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I have used it for the top thread only, never in the bobbin. I just have to make sure it doesn't tangle or get hung up on something.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I would NOT use any invisible thread especially on a heavy weighted t-shirt quilt. Look once again at the designs on each shirt and see if there is some way you can quilt around the design. It will take more time in changing thread to match whatever it is you are quilting but the quilt will last a lot longer. If you can, post pictures of the t-shirts and maybe we can give you some suggestions on designs to use to quilt each block. Good Luck !!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:55 PM

I have quilted several (no I didn't take pictures-shame on me) t-shirt quilts and used an all over and honestly I think they look as good as invisible. As long as you don't chose a thread that stands out too much on any of your shirts it will be fine. I would just be concerned (maybe for no reason) that on a long arm your thread has to travel so much further than on a domestic machine that there might be an issue.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

I recently quilted a customer's t-shirt quilt with invisible thread- (invisible thread in the top, cotton thread in the bobbin) it turned out just fine- I purchase my invisible threads from 'Superior Threads' and follow their recommendations for needle size and loosen the top tension just a little bit. I have found that I kind of like quilting with invisible thread on the long-arm.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM

I have done several t-shirt quilts and have always done an all over design, like a panto or straight line quilting using regular cotton thread, top and bottom. I don't care for invisible thread for items that gets used, like bed quilts as the thread isn't near as durable. It brings to mind all those cheap comforters/quilts that you can buy at WalMart.....I remember all the invisible threads, broken and poking me....not pleasant memories. I have found that quilting across the designs doesn't take away from the overall look of the quilt.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your input on the invisible thread. From what I have read, the invisible thread is out. I truly value your input.
Have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.
Quiltbagy
Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Its a matter of selecting the right invisible thread. Once I swithched to MonoPoly and following Superiors instructions, have not had a bit of problems. Use it very frequently.

Originally Posted by Quiltbaby View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your input on the invisible thread. From what I have read, the invisible thread is out. I truly value your input.
Have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.
Quiltbagy