Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting a King-sized top >

Quilting a King-sized top

Quilting a King-sized top

Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Some places rent time on a long arm machine. I think the one place quoted $20/hour. You will probably want to and be required to take a class to learn to use the machine. Much less expensive than the LAQ charge + S/H to the LAQ.

I choose carefully which quilts I will pay to have LAQ. It is a special treat for me to have quilts LAQ'ed.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM

I thought about doing a LAQ intro course and renting time, but I've heard the learning curve is pretty steep.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 PM

I plan on quilting a King size sometime soon. I have a King size top almost done and I am hoping it is not going to be a big deal. to quilt it on my old Singer.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'll tell you why I no longer try to FMQ anything larger than a small twin at home.

Several years ago (when I was much younger, less achy, and more nimble than I am now) I pushed to get a quilt FMQ'd at home for a show and didn't want to pay for a LAQ rush job. For 8 weeks after that show, after quilting that quilt myself, I visited the chiropractor several times a week to "fix" the shoulder I'd "killed" trying to do it my self.

I could have paid the LAQ easily with the co-pays/deductibles I spent! Never again. I PROMISED myself.

Jan in VA
Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 PM

I'm going to do a king but I'm taking the other road lol I'm tying it.....probably machine tying!! Like you I have a simple machine with a small throat. Good luck and Happy Quilting
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 PM

I had posted a link to Oh, Fransson! where she shows how she quilts large quilts. She has some interesting techniques that make the job less taxing on your body. It's in the links and resources forum.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:06 AM

It can be done. I lay it across my kitchen table to do the pinning and then I quilted it on my Janome with only a 9" throat. I had quilted several that way before I got my Tin Lizzie. If you use your ironing board or two kitchen chairs to help keep the weight from dragging, it is not too bad. I have done FMQ and crosshatching on my Janome, including SID. It can be done! Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Which brand of silicone spray is safe for fabric? I'd like to order a can!

I split the batting on large quilts into 3 pieces and quilt the middle section first. I first saw this technique described in a Debra Wagner book, but I think it is included in the Marti Michel book too. I use a Sharpie permanent marker to create registration marks before storing the other 2 sections of batting; makes putting the batting back together much easier. I also use the new batting tape (or pieces of nylon tricot fusible cut into strips) to fasten the batting back together.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM

I recently finished quilting my king size quilt on my dsm (and a vintage machine at that - a Singer 15-91). And I was worried about the same things you are worried about. So - decided to cut my batting into thirds. I chose to do meandering on the entire quilt, and I started with the middle section. I used a fusible tape to attach the batting back together. I used 505 spray for basting.

When reading about cutting the batting for a larger quilt, it was recommended to cut in in a wavy pattern, not a straight line. I ended up with an extreme wave, which I would not recommend. Next time (yes, I would do this again) - I will do a gentle wave. Also, I think it would make it easier to add back in the batting pieces if the stitching stopped in roughly a straight line down the quilt a couple of inches in from the edge of the batting. The quilt was so big, I kind of got lost as I meandered around, feeling for the edge of the batting. Some of my stitching came perilously close to the edges.

Honestly, I think I could have done this without cutting the batting in thirds. Yes, it would have been tight in spots, but doable. Next time I would probably just cut the batting in half. I have to admit it was nice to be able to move around the middle of the quilt easily. I puddle my quilt when I FMQ.

I am attaching a picture of my quilt while I was working on it, as well as the end result (almost end result - I still need to do the binding). I also added a picture of my favorite sewing machine - the one I used to FMQ on this top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329269[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329270[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329271[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329272[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2-1f401e8e-538476-800.jpg   almost-king-top.jpg   2-b64e99d2-917538-800.jpg   imag0136.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 02:03 PM

Being cheap, instead of buying another something - silicon spray - I used Pledge spray furniture wax and it worked excellent. Didn't hurt my machine or my table.

I have also heard - but haven't tried - using car wax.

The next time I am quilting something large I am going to try the technique mentioned on Oh Fransson. That sounded very logical.