Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting on longarm >

quilting on longarm

quilting on longarm

Old 11-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Default quilting on longarm

I usually use cotton 50wt on my longarm

I have some glide thread tried using that it kept shredding on me I was using glide on top and cotton on the bobbin could that be my problem?????

Do you always use the same thread in the bobbin the same as the top thread????
Old 11-23-2014, 05:20 PM

I have a Gammill, and through the years, my son and I have come to agree that the same thread top and bottom works best. That makes us put a back on a quilt that we might not otherwise use, so that we won't have glaring differences front and back. But I am not a professional contest entering quilter, so don't use my word as the last word in quilting. I guess if I ever get to that point, I might have to re-think my methods. But, for me, right now, yes, always use the same thread top and bobbin.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM

I just bought the Innova long arm machine and used glide thread, it was great 99 % of the time but I think after 4 quilts I need to change the needle. I used matching thread but it was cotton, a pre wound bobbin
Old 11-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

What needle size are you using? And what longarm do you have? Shredding is usually caused by using a needle whose eye is too small for the thread size, by not having the needle positioned correctly for the machine, or because the tension is not right (usually top tension, but tensioning is a combination of bobbin and top).

It's actually usually good to combine a cotton thread in the bobbin with a polyester thread on top, as the cotton "grips" the polyester and gives you better, more even stitches that poly with poly.

If it's the Glide that is shredding, the issue is probably not the cotton bobbin thread. The top thread has to go through the needle eye many times to form a stitch, so it usually has something to do with that eye and/or the amount of tension on the thread when it goes through the eye.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 PM

I use glide thread. I only use prewond bobbins any more. Either bottom line or glide. I use it with cotton or poly on top. I don't have as much tention problems that way. I don't have any Breakage problems with glide. It is probably the needle size . Try using a larger needle.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 PM

I learned something recently at a HandiQuilter retreat, that might be helpful. If the thread is shreading, turn the needle slightly to the right. It worked for me!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:59 AM

I always use the same thread in the bobbin as on the top. I also change my needle with every quilt. I like Glide Thread and Permacore Thread. Both work well in my Gammill. I use a size 3.5 needle with the Glide and a 4.0 needle with the Permacore. I have never had a shredding problem. I check the bobbin tension with my Towa Gauge with every bobbin change. I check the top tension on a scrap quilt sandwich before I start a quilt. The most I usually need to correct on the top is 1/2 turn (either direction). I tried cotton thread when I first got my machine, but had a lot of breakage so I decided I did not need that aggravation. Trial and error is how I came up with what works for my machine, but maybe this can help you.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 AM

I have a A-1 quilt machine and I like using So Fine poly in the bobbin and King Tut cotton on the top. I have my Toea guide set at 250 for the bobbin thread and have never had a problem.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I have never had a problem with Glide but I have read of others who have. I did have a shredding issue with Superior Highlights poly thread and the sister product Rainbow (the variegated version of Highlights). But I believe this may have been a common problem because they seemed to discontinue the line. The only thing that solved the issue with Superior was very little tension on top and bobbin.

If none of the above suggestions work for you, it is possible you got a bad cone. Glide has always performed beautifully for me.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM

We've got an Innova, and on that and the HQ we had before, we use all kinds of mixes. Like Prism, our shredding has been solved by using a bigger needle. And with more tightly woven fabric, having a large enough needle is even more important so the fabric doesn't shred the thread. Also, make sure the needle is set in at the angle your LA mfr recommends. It can also be a burr on the needle, needle plate, or any other part that contacts the thread.