Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which quilting machine under $2000 has a 9" throat. >

Which quilting machine under $2000 has a 9" throat.

Which quilting machine under $2000 has a 9" throat.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM

This is a correction on the term throat- not to be picky but to help in your search as you talk to people- the throat is actually the opening in the throat plate- the metal plate where the feed dogs stick up through and the throat is the opening where the needle goes down throw. The Harp- is the area of the bed that extends from the needle to the pillar- the right side columb.
Unualy a machine that has a generous bed extension to the left of the needle has a smaller harp and vis versa. 2 vintage Singers that have the largest harp are the models 66 and 201. Both have a harp masuement needle to pillar of 8 inches. Because of the plstic bodies of more modern machines many have a bulky body and in order to get even that much of a harp have to enlarge the machine which often then puts it into a new class and price catagory.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 PM

How about for 10% of that price? While checking out new machines at my local sewing machine repair shop I spotted an old Singer in for repair and noticed what a wide harp it had. So I measured, and it's 9"--I decided to keep my old Kenmore zigzag and buy a totally rehabbed Singer 201 instead of new. It will cost me $200, including cabinet, and I can also get the treadle I've longed for since age 10 for a package deal of $500. If I can make room, I'm going for both! Owner also has in his collection-for-sale an industrial model with about 11" harp, but it's speedy, made for fast sewing, not what I want for FMQ. Though he did say he could put a governor on the motor...wish I had room for all three!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Juki's under 1K

http://finishingtouchesquiltingstudi...sMachines.aspx
Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM
KLO

I have the Pfaff GrandQuilter 1200 and it has a 9" throat space from needle to side of machine. I got it and the Inspira Frame used for $1000. There are a couple on ebay right not so if you decide this is what you want, you might want to try there. It's a workhorse machine, only straight stitching but speeds right along. It's a lot like the Juki, I believe. So check around to see what's on the market first.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 PM

I got my machine on reicharts.com. earlier this year. I would have went with sewvacdirect.com, but they were $100 more at the time....although they run different specials and I don't think Reichart's does?? Have spoken to both companies by phone and both are extremely nice and helpful :) Also, Jason at Reichart's told me that as of July or August, they would not be offering free shipping anymore, due to prices @ UPS, but they may have resolved it. Sewvac offers free shipping right now, I believe.

Not sure if I have broken rules by listing company names?? Sorry, if so :)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 AM

If you ONLY want a straight stitch, hi-speed, no frills machine for piecing and quilting, here are 5 to look at:
Viking Megaquilter
Janome 1600P
Pfaff Grandquilter
(FYI, all 3 above are the exact same machine made by Janome - just different fronts & labels)
Brother 1500 and Juki 98

If you want size and speed w more stitches and features look at the Janome 6600P - Hi speed, large harp for piecing/ quilting but ALSO has 160 stitches w/ dual feed, speed control, thread cutter, knee control etc :)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
I just bought a Janome Horizon for $1900.
Wow, you got a good deal! I paid $1400 for my 6600P.
Wow that IS a good deal for the 7700 ... lowest I've seen around here was still $2400+
Maybe they're starting to deal more for them now, I'll have to check $ again :)
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 PM

I just placed an order with Allbrands for a Brother PQ1500 S quilting machine, fabric leaders to attach the quilt top to and the Queen Size Grace Start Right Quilt Frame which also comes with a speed control. They were offering free shipping (which they do periodically) and the total was $1279.35.

I have a friend that has this same setup and I was very impressed with job that it does. The only drawback that I could see was that the frame will only do up to a Queen but that wasn't a problem for me since I don't do anything bigger than a Queen anyway.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
I just bought a Janome Horizon for $1900.
Wow, you got a good deal! I paid $1400 for my 6600P.
Wow that IS a good deal for the 7700 ... lowest I've seen around here was still $2400+
Maybe they're starting to deal more for them now, I'll have to check $ again :)
Hi, I know that was a good deal. I really don't expect much for customer support and crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong with the machine within a year, really don't have the desire to go back there. Maybe the dealer needed money that day. The machine was new in unopened box.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:59 PM

I am leaning towards the Brother PQ1500S. I just checked......AllBrands has it for $599.00 ---- free ground shipping for US.

Best wishes on your decision.