Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilting machines >
  • quilting machines

• quilting machines

Old 09-23-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by zeke
    I have a couple of APQS's. They are the Ultimate's, I & II. The UI has a computer hooked up to it and the UII is for custom and freeform quilting. I did have a Gammill at one time, but I sold it due to the fact that it was too heavy. The APQS's are much lighter and better looking. Regards, zeke.............
    What do you mean by "too heavy"? The actual weight as it pertains to the pressure it has to exert on the floor? Or the weight it has when you move it around to sew with? My husband and I just started investigating this as an income source, and the Gammill was one my husband seemed to be impressed with. (Maybe it was one with the best internet "demonstrations" on how to use it, which would be a huge bonus to a newbie just getting themselves educated on this subject.)

I found the suggestion on attending a quilting show and seeing them all in person to be a must, if I could only find a show that would be near me- it would be a treat to hear first person how they work and to see them in action, and to make your comparisons as you go. The second time around is a must too- you form your questions as you go along and then can get them answered the second run through, and then I suggest even a third run with just your finalists- it shows you are serious AND allows you to get the two vendors to price bargain against one another as you announce your intentions to possibly purchase one that day.
    Old 09-23-2010, 03:34 PM

Hi sgardner,

I mean that the machine is heavy in weight. The Gammill Optimum has a 30" throat and weighs about 80 lbs. After a while my arms started to ache. I'm a big guy of 6'1" and 220 lbs. and didn't like the way I felt after lugging that thing around the table for a few hours. The APQS machines are far more lighter in weight and run very goog and I won't change for anything, unless someone gives me a lot of cash to do so.

And yes, go to quilt shows and try them out. I live in California and towards the end of october PIQF(Pacific International Quilt Festival) will be in Santa Clara. That's in the bay area and it's a good place to start your search for a machine. Most of the companies are there showing their machine and letting you play with them. Only you can pick the machine that suits you. Take care and good luck on finding a machine. zeke.............
    Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM
    Banned

I have a Bailey 15" and Grace Frame....Turned the Guest Bedrm into a quilting rm for it....Love that machine

Then I took over one daughter's rm and that is my sewing rm.
    Her rm is large....I can fit a huge cutting table that my husband made with baskets underneath....2 other tables back to back my husband also made....Then there is a huge oak table from one end of wall to other. I am very fortunately to have a husband who loves and does nice woodwork.
    Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 PM

The frame is essential to determining if your machine is 'heavy' or not. My A1 can be moved with my little finger, because it is well balanced and the wheels and carriage glide smoothly.
    Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 PM

Very true Shelley, but the A-1 only has a 23" throat. The Gammill also has a nice track system, but the Optimum has a 30" throat and moving that machine around is easy. It's not only the weight of the machine, but the size is in play too. My Ultimate I only weighs 42 lbs. compared to the Optimum that weighs over 80 lbs. I don't know about you, but I rather push 42 lbs. around while doing stippling. Easier on the hand and arms, let alone the body. zeke...........
    Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by zeke
    Very true Shelley, but the A-1 only has a 23" throat. The Gammill also has a nice track system, but the Optimum has a 30" throat and moving that machine around is easy. It's not only the weight of the machine, but the size is in play too. My Ultimate I only weighs 42 lbs. compared to the Optimum that weighs over 80 lbs. I don't know about you, but I rather push 42 lbs. around while doing stippling. Easier on the hand and arms, let alone the body. zeke...........
    True, Zeke. But have you driven the Horizon?? HEAVEN!!! And glides just as easy as the Elite.