Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazine >

Quilting Magazine

Quilting Magazine

Old 09-28-2017, 04:06 AM

Default Quilting Magazine

Our local middle school is selling magazine subscriptions. The choices are 'American Patchwork and Quilting', 'Love of Quilting Fons & Porter', 'McCalls Quilting', 'McCalls Quick quilts', 'Quilters World', and 'Quilt Maker'. Who knew there were so many... I tend to lean more towards short cuts. Love bright colors. Not a big fan of wall hangings, civil war era, or country style.
I would like some input from those who read any of these.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:01 AM

It sounds like you'd like McCall's Quick Quilts. Check it out at your grocery store.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:12 AM

I think American Patchwork & Quilting or Fons and Porter. F&P gives a lot of great shortcuts with clear instruction.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:22 AM

The only one I'm really familiar with is Fons and Porter, but I think you'd probably prefer their 'Quilty' (modern) or 'Easy Quilts' editions more, going by what you've said. I agree that if you like short cuts, the Quick Quilts sounds like a good possibility.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:36 AM

I would go with any of them except Quilters World & Quilt Maker (only because they offer less variety).
The advantage of McCalls Quilting is if you sign on to their website, you get additional patterns free for being a subscriber.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:48 AM

Unless it is a child or grandchild who is selling the subscriptions and needs points for selling; Just give a donation to the school and then go subscribe on your own. The school will get more money and your subscription will be cheaper. As mentioned above try buying a few single issues and see which one you like. If going on your own you might enjoy Missouri Star "Block" Magazine. It has patterns and articles and no advertisements.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

i've always enjoyed fons and Porter
Old 09-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

My favorites are the 2 from McCall's. I also enjoy Quiltmaker.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:38 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, including Block from Missouri Star. At one time or another, I have suscribed to every one of them. In the past year, I have bought Better Homes & Gardens' books of favorite patterns because there were several patterns in each book that I wanted. I thought that Fons & Porter bought out Quiltmaker more than a year ago. Visiting Nurses thrift stores in Chehalis, WA have spoiled me for buying off the news stand, anywhere from 69 cents to 89 cents to $1.99 for one quilt magazine. I have filled in a lot of issues of Fons & Porter. Before investing a lot of money in supplies for a quilt that has caught your eye, check the "errata" page at the website for that magazine. Just recently, I read a disclaimer in American Patchwork and Quilting by Better Homes & Gardens that each pattern is tested by having at least three different people work it up before they send to publication.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:49 AM

I vote for McCall's. I seem to like the quilts & patterns they feature more than the other magazines.