Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilting Magazines

Trip Around the World is a classic....if you tell me where you are in the process of making yours, I can probably recreate what you need. I love this pattern-----have a batiks wall quilt in the planning stages----and have made several thru the years. Just PM me with the details.....

Blog Entries
    I got Fons and Porter for one year, and now I am getting three others for one year at the ridiculous low price for people subscribing for the first time. I won't renew them because they are so expensive the second time around. I figure these patterns and ideas will last me the rest of my life and whatever else I need I can get online. The magazines I have now I wouldn't part with, but I think I could get a lot of fabric with the money I did save. Edie

Blog Entries
    I used to buy 5 or 6 each month. Now, I rarely buy one because I already have more quilt ideas than I would ever be able to finish in the rest of my life time and wayyyyy beyond! Of course, I rarely throw them out but may give some away occasionally.

I think the idea of borrowing them from my local library is a great idea for a lot of reasons.

Thanks for asking the question. :D

Blog Entries
    I have enough books and magazines to start my own store. Since I've retired, I don't subsribe any more, would rather buy material. I have about 75 magazines that I have highlighted patterns that I would like to do, that should keep me busy til iam 90.

I love using my city library to check out quilting magazines -- I'm a huge fan of libraries in general, though! I also like to borrow issues from my mom; she bought tons of magazines when she first began quilting about 10 years ago, and unlike "news events," quilt patterns never really become outdated! It's very relaxing for me to thumb through them all... :-)

I have an online subscription to Quilter's World. I get an email when new issue is out and download it right to my computer. And when I got my subscription it let me download every issue back to February 2006. Love it, I can print copies of pattern and all appliques and templates right on my printer.

It seems whenever I buy a magazine at the store I LOVE more than one of the patterns, but when I subscribe to it there's never anything in it I want to make! Don't know why...?

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    There are so many mag available between direct mail and at the stores. Do you have a favorite? I cannot decide if i want to keep subscribing because it seem to me that most are filled with ads. Do you feel the same? :roll:
    I was getting so many. Finances are really tight so I have not renewed any this year. Hopefully it will force me to go through the ones I have and use ideas from them.

I subscribe to American Patchwork & Quilting...soo many wonderful ideas for future quilts, free patterns and lots of helpful info. Love it !!

Blog Entries
    I love love my quiltmaker magazine. Although I buy most of the other ones, but only if there is at least 2-3 patterns that I like and could possibly make...With that said :lol: I would have to live forever to make everything I liked.

Blog Entries
    IMHO Fon's and Porter has the most usuable patterns and info of them all...I probably subscrible to 6 and thats the one I look forward to the most

Quilters World is my favorate because I can get them electronically and save them on my computer. I have a seperate back up drive just incase the computer crashes I will not loose any of my books or patterns. 8-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaLinda
    I get Fons & Porter 'Love of Quilting' and McCalls 'Quick Quilts'. I used to get Quilter's World and didn't really care for it. However, those old issues are looking good now. I have only ever made one pattern though. I just like to look at the pictures and I like the ads for the various fabrics and stores. There are usually links to websites to download free patterns. I also pick up various magazines at the store, usually before I travel so I have something new for on the plane. There is so much available on the web now, it is almost silly to buy the magazines but I still like to have something in my hands instead of on the screen. --Linda--
    You are so right, Linda. I had to subscribe to magazines all the while my great grand kids were in elementary school
    so I always bought the quilting mags. I just recently subscribed to Fons and Porter Love of Quilting. Havent received first issue yet, hope I am not disappointed.

I really get some great ideas from the Quilting Arts mag. I have read all of the above ones mentioned and usually there is at least 2 patterns in each that I want to do. The purse patterns are good too. I probably have 50 patterns that I've downloaded since Jan.

I am a "keeper". I have collected so many patterns over the years that I know I will never make but I love to look at them and dream. I canceled all my subscriptions also because of all the ads and am now browsing thru my library of books. I now know the disadvantage of being my age. Boy, do you collect things.

I used to subscribe to several, but after a few years, I found that they repeated the same quilt patterns. So I stopped subscribing, and whenever I need inpiration, I go to my old mags and read them again as if they were new!

I like most all of them except Quilt Newsletter.

Blog Entries
    Yes, to many ads. I stopped subscribing. Every now and then I go to the library's used book store. If I get lucky I can find mags. for 25 or 50 cents. 2009 or early 2010. ie. Fons and Porter, Quilt, Quiltmaker etc.

Power Poster
    I have a variety of them in my cabinet.

I am presently subscribing to Fons ^ Porterm BH&G Quilt Mag, McCall's quilt Mag., and Quiltmaker. Occasionaly I buy one at the store. I keep saying I am going to stop getting magazines, I have a ton, because I don't need another pattern. So many now are free or on tutorials by quilt shops, you don't need the magazines. Next year I will probably keep one or two at the most. I also get Sew News, too. In all these years I don't think I have made more than 2 quilts out of a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    There are so many mag available between direct mail and at the stores. Do you have a favorite? I cannot decide if i want to keep subscribing because it seem to me that most are filled with ads. Do you feel the same? :roll:
    Have you checked thrift stores for some old quilt magazines? I am not a new quilter, but I have foun that many of the new designs are too complicated for me to comprehend. I prefer the simpler patterns more often found in older magazines.

i just got my first Quilters World in the mail yesterday. Read it cover to cover. It's ok, but I wasn't totally impressed. Nothing in it I want to make. Cancelled subscription.

Blog Entries
    They are really very similar; loads of ads and often long boring articles that I am not interested in, and expensive. I think most quilters want inspiration, techniques, easy patterns and information about new fabrics and products. Instead I subscribe to on-line shows which are less expensive with downloadable free patterns. Actual demonstrations are much easier to follow than diagrams and can be re-visited. I may buy the odd magazine, but only if it is devoted entirely to projects that I am interested in. I still love my old magazines, some of which are over 10 years old.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I like most all of them except Quilt Newsletter.
    I let this one lapse...didn't like the new format (articles alot) so didn't renew

My standby is Fons & Porter. I nearly always find something I want to make from an issue or get a good way to do something on what I am working on. They are always reliable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast