Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting Magazines

This past year I subscribed to several quilting magazines for the eye candy, motivation and inspiration. I felt I was in a slump at the time I subscribed. Now the renewals are due and I've decided that several of the magazines were really not worth it for me. I found I was disappointed when some came in the mail, but I really looked forward to others. Some have become too "artsy" for me, some have waay too much advertising and too little real content. I like traditional piecing. At the moment I'm only keeping American Patchwork and Quilting because I look forward to it and most of the qults really appeal to me. I'm just curious as to which magazines you all subscribe to and why you like them.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I no longer subscribe to any for the reasons you gave. I may pick one up once in awhile but I find so many great ideas right HERE!! :D
    Also cruising the net.

I've subscribed to Quilters Newsletter for many years and keep that subscription because I thinki it's a very well rounded mag.

I recently discovered Quitmania and love it because it covers the european shows & quilters and the photography is great. It includes patterns too.

I'm having second thoughts about Quilting Arts because they include a whole lot of techniques that a traditional quilter wouldn't generally use. But it's a fun magazine.

I also like Australia's Patchwork & Quilting--I think that the name (I'm at work). I like their patters better than the ones in Quiltmania.

Just recently I subscribed to American Patchwork and Quilting because I like the quilts.

I also stopped all because of the reasons you gave. I look at them in stores and if I see a pattern/quilt that I like, I will buy that magazine. Also look for them at yard sales, flea markets etc.

Blog Entries
    I switched to just getting inspiration from online sources... the subscriptions keep going up along with the advertisements, and the patterns and information is less :(

I have noticed myself buying less and less magazines. For awhile I couldn't get enough...but when I really started to take stock of the content...its mostly ads...and things I can really find online for free. Now that I am starting to trust my sewing skills more and more I'm finding I'd rather spend the $7 - &12.99 bucks a pop on fabric and thread. =)

Blog Entries
    I love Quiltmaker....I have made several of their quilts, I love their patterns, and the instructions are for every level quilter.

I like McCall's Quilt magazine..(name isn't right)...I like their patterns very much.

I like Fons & Porters...fun stuff.

I love American Patchwork & Quilting.

I have been getting Quilter's Newsletter but will probably let that one go next time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I no longer subscribe to any for the reasons you gave. I may pick one up once in awhile but I find so many great ideas right HERE!! :D
    Also cruising the net.
    me too! and i find it cheaper and better to buy them used..i have sold a bunch here and on ebay.
    i am partial to "quilts and more" which has to be bought on the stand..

Now-- none-- I have got over hundreds and years of magazines some I inherited from 1979 through '99 only problem with some of them was before rotary cutters and mats but love the pics and THIS site. I have Quilter's Newsletter Magazine #11 (Sept.1970)through #342 (May 2002) 32 YEARS worth when they started was.40cents ended up over $3.50 no more could NEVER do even one years worth of the quilts!!!

I sub. To Fons &Porter &American Patchwork. I was devastated when Miniature Quilts went out of business years ago 'cause I specialize in miniatures. My mentor is Sally Collins, though and I have learned so much from her books and a two day class with her. What I learned from her about precision piecing also helps in quality piecing quilt tops for larger quilts.

I like Quiltmaker for the pattens - there is not an issue that doesn't have at least 2 or 3 that I really want to make. And I like Quilter's Newsletter for the articles, although it seems to have less of those than it used to.

Blog Entries
    I get McCall's but will cancel after my year is up. The newest issue is in the stores before its in my mail box! I'll finish out my year of Quilter's World and may "re-up" because I got several unique patterns this year and its not at my local grocery store. I've enjoyed going thru all the old magazines I have.

Blog Entries
    I used to subscribe to lots of magazines, but have gradually been letting them go. I still get Quilters Newsletter, I think I would miss it after being a loyal subscriber for 15 years! For me it's not about the patterns ( I like to design my own), but I enjoy learning new techniques and reading the articles. I treasure my collection of older quilt mags...the new ones just aren't up to par with them.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I subscribed to Quilters Newsletter for about 20 years. Loved it but it's changed more than I have I guess. Let it go last year.

These days, I only subscribe to history magazines. I do buy every issue of Quilt Sampler when it comes out.

Recently I bought a random magazine for a baby quilt pattern inside. Didn't want to copy a design without first paying for it, so to speak.

Otherwise, I will pick up whatever quilt magazines are available in airport shops but Quilt Sampler is the only I consistently enjoy.

I just buy them used now....but I love most of them!

Kas
    I am only keeping my American Patchwork & Quilting because it is the only one I can't find at the library. But if I really love a pattern or the issue is full of techniques I want to try, I will buy one of the others.

I don't buy any because of the advertisements in them.

I can find alot on the internet free.

Blog Entries
    Glad you put this post on here. I've been wondering what magazine I would like to subscribe to or not. I guess reading everything here, I'll save my $$ and spend it on the fabric instead.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I like Quiltmaker for the pattens - there is not an issue that doesn't have at least 2 or 3 that I really want to make. And I like Quilter's Newsletter for the articles, although it seems to have less of those than it used to.

I'm with IrishNY on this one-- Quiltmaker is the one that usually has a pattern I just *need* to make:)

Blog Entries
    Quiltmaker is my favorite. Quilters Newsletter second. I have stopped subscribing because my cousin in VA has quilted for years and sent me a stack of wonderful patterns. Then I also inherited the stash and books from a friend's granny.
    In addition I have bought many many books etc. myself. I pick up the Quiltmaker at my LQS. I "fan" through it to see if it is my interest first. The LQS owner is a personal friend and she doesn't mind me doing this.

I am just down to 3 magazines. AQS- Quilters Newsletter & American Patchwork & Quilting. I really enjoy the articles in these magazines, and it is eye candy for new fabrics, machines, & notions. I don't get them for patterns because I always design my own. I have to agree though that there are way more adv. than seem necessary, but they pay for the magazines, and without them we would not be able to afford them.

I HAVE STOP...I HAVE ABOUT 700 MAG. AND QUILT BOOKS. HAVE RUN OUT OF SPACE TO KEEP THEM. THERE JUST ISN'T THAT MANY DIFFERNT KIND OF QUILTS.

We ought to start a swap on magazines....perhaps bundle a year's worth from me to one of you and you send me a bundled year's worth!
    Magazines must be in good condition, non-smoking odors, name on them, honor system that they are clean and in good condition...you know, set up a few simple rules.

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    I love Quiltmaker....I have made several of their quilts, I love their patterns, and the instructions are for every level quilter.

I like McCall's Quilt magazine..(name isn't right)...I like their patterns very much.

I like Fons & Porters...fun stuff.

I love American Patchwork & Quilting.

I have been getting Quilter's Newsletter but will probably let that one go next time.
    Same here! Donna

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast