Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use >

Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use

Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use

Old 11-27-2020, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Walmart has the Martelli roundabout mat for $48. It is only the mat so don't think it is the turntable set up. I can't believe how many on Facebook have posted what a great deal it is not reading it is only the mat as the ad says in the first place.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

The pressing stick, I think it's called The Strip Stick, is the item I spent money on and never used. It's sitting in a drawer somewhere.
Hi Peckish. I looked up the Strip Stick and it reminds me of the sleeve ham i have. I thought about using it for ironing strips. I'll have to play with it to see if it works. It's bigger than the Strip Stick so it might not work.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
The Spider Ruler from Creative Grids that is supposed to make the Crazy Christmas Tree pattern and others. I have never been able to figure that thing out. I rarely buy specialty rulers and this just showed me why once again.

Watson
Hi Watson. I watched a video on the Spider Ruler. I'm going to make a OBW quilt and it reminds me of that but a 45 degree instead of 60 degree ruler. In the video she fussy cut each triangle instead of stacking the fabric to match the design. She also showed some that she didn't fussy cut to match, which was interesting too. I'm learning so much on this thread! It's great!
Old 11-27-2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Walmart has the Martelli roundabout mat for $48. It is only the mat so don't think it is the turntable set up. I can't believe how many on Facebook have posted what a great deal it is not reading it is only the mat as the ad says in the first place.
Hi Onebyone. I saw the same thing on Amazon but once I read the description is said mat only. I always try to remember, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

Last edited by Sharongn; 11-27-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:48 AM

Just looked this stick up....umm....years ago, I bought a pressing ham set that had a regular pressing ham in it and another one that was about the size of orange for roundness and about 12 inches long. I never used the regular pressing ham and sold it at a yard sale. However, I do like the other smaller one which is considerable bigger than the pressing sticks. I use it when I really want seams to lay flat and open....works really well
Old 11-27-2020, 08:55 AM

umm...just did a search....and what I loved for those flat seams seem to be called a sausage roll ham or a seam ham or something like that.. Who knew!
Old 11-27-2020, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
My best tip is to tape a card or post a note with contents of container to an end of the container for at a glance searching. I have various sizes and styles of containers so not all coordinated.
Hi oksewglad. Good idea. I am so organized at work but at home I'm kind of a slacker. Lol. I have a couple of those hanging shoe organizers in my sewing rooms small walk-in closet. I bought the clear shoe boxes (with snap on lids) which generally work well but some still need labels. I also have a various assortment of tins that need labels. Thanks for the kick in the butt. Lol
Old 11-27-2020, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Just looked this stick up....umm....years ago, I bought a pressing ham set that had a regular pressing ham in it and another one that was about the size of orange for roundness and about 12 inches long. I never used the regular pressing ham and sold it at a yard sale. However, I do like the other smaller one which is considerable bigger than the pressing sticks. I use it when I really want seams to lay flat and open....works really well
Hi sewingpup. Great to know!
Old 11-27-2020, 09:14 AM

I have three rotating cutting mats - a 14" Fiskars, a 14" off-brand, and an 8" Fiskars. I hate the 14" Fiskars - the top and bottom are separate and it falls apart while I'm using it. The top is also getting warped, though I don't know why, since I keep it flat and away from heat. I bought the off-brand one from Amazon after reading that the top and the base didn't come apart. That one works great, and so does the small Fiskars.

I used to have that June Tailor ruler for cutting strips. I didn't like it at all; I can cut much more accurate strips with my 6 1/2"x24" ruler and a hand weight to hold it down.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:48 AM

The LED light strip you can stick on your sewing machine for more light. Both strips I got, ended up going from really bright, cool blue light to dull, dingy and yellow. Thought the first one was a fluke but nope, second one did the same thing so I yanked it off my machine and now I have a goose-neck lamp and a selfie ring (both LED and super bright) that actually lights my space up now.

The mini-iron. I did use it a lot when I was making a hexagon quilt, but I rarely use it now unless I'm really struggling with my seams or I don't feel like heating up my iron. It used to be the first thing I turned on when I got into my quilting corner.

Last thing are the heat erasing pens. I got every color I could because I really liked them in the beginning but I started having so many problems with them that I moved to the Sewline Mechanical Pencils. I'll still have to use the pens to mark my quilting patterns when I FMQ, but they're definitely not my go-to's anymore.