Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Pattern: Modern, But Not Too Modern >

Quilting Pattern: Modern, But Not Too Modern

Quilting Pattern: Modern, But Not Too Modern

Old 06-02-2023, 09:06 AM

Default Quilting Pattern: Modern, But Not Too Modern

I've always created old fashioned, traditional quilts, but lately, I've been leaning to more modern designs. I like this one. It's Christmasy, but could also look good on a bed year round. I like the red and white, but it might be nice done in other colors too.

https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt...ilts/tree-farm

Have you found some quilt patterns that lean to the more modern side, but could still look traditional?
Old 06-02-2023, 09:08 AM

Oh yes, i like that too. I still want to make a tree quilt but gave away all my Christmas fabrics a few days ago. I want to make my tree quilt with blues and maybe greens too.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:33 AM

That's a cute tree quilt! That would be fun to make. I have some Christmas layer cakes and charm packs that might work with this pattern.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

I am looking at my old Thimbleberries, Civil War, Jenny Beyer patterns and thinking of making them with the bold solids and prints. I am so over the dark and dull quilts I use to like.
Old 06-03-2023, 02:48 AM

If I were doing this quilt, I would lean towards greens, blues and a medium brown. Nothing wrong with Christmas colors, just thinking outside the box.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:34 AM

Add me to the list of folks who are finding a bit more modern to be refreshing! My CW prints and darker, cozy colors no longer appeal as they once did. I am also finding that although I have the skill to do lots of little triangles and stars, I now prefer simpler styles.

Continuing to change and grow as a person, I guess.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Me too!
I thought I posted but I don't see it so here goes: I used to only make traditional patterns but have branched out. There are so many great ideas - something for everyone!
Old 06-03-2023, 09:12 AM

I'm the opposite of some of you. I started out with modern fabrics and patterns, but have been drawn to reproduction fabrics in recent years. However, I am still bookmarking simpler, modern patterns that I think might be adaptable to these old-fashioned prints. I can wholeheartedly appreciate a bright, modern quilt, but am not drawn to working with pure colors, for some reason. It's the small, busy prints and complex colors that fascinate me.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:20 AM

I like bold and graphic designs...something that really catches your eye when you walk into a room. I haven't made those kind of quilts in the past, but I'd like to.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

tropit- Charisma who used to be on the board is a fabulous designer and her patterns are quite modern. She has an Etsy shop, also a website.