Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilting police come and get me.............

Cute quilt and baby won't care about the thread choice...lol.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    i really don't know what you are so worried about---thousands of quilters every day use poly thread to quilt their quilts- cotton thread does not work very well in long-arm machines- the machine goes too fast- the thread breaks all the time- machine quilting thread is polyester.
    as for the rayon---if it was strong enough to do the job---good for you-
    some people quilt with silk thread too---
    it's not a problem to use the thread that works for you- and is strong enough-
    the only thread i've had problems with for quilting was a number of years ago i quilted a quilt with an invisible thread that melted in the dryer---broke all over the quilt leaving horrible pokies all over it---but i do believe the invisible threads have come a long way since then.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    beautiful is all I have to say !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member peacequiltingnana's Avatar
    Man, I hope "they" don't find me. I'd be locked up for life.

Thanks everyone for all the nice and kind words. Here's a bit of background. I attended a t-shirt quilting class recently and picked up (what I thought was the perfect color to quilt with) and it was polyster thread. The teacher told me "Oh no, we only use cotton thread on cotton fabric." The funny thing was the thread I had originally picked up was in a sale bin.

I don't have a lot of places to buy fabric, thread and such. We have Joann's, Hancock and a couple of local sewing and vacuuming places. But both the sewing and vacuum places are closed on Sunday. So I decided to go with what I wanted.

Thanks again for all the kind words and hope you enjoyed the chuckle.

PS I have a nephew-in-law who's also in law enforcement. Made his and my niece's baby a quilt when that great nephew was born so I'm sure my nephew-in-law won't arrest me either.
    Gold and Silver are made purer and stronger by Fire.

feline fanatic told the story better than I could. Your quilt, your thread, your decision. I use poly and cotton with no problems in the longarm.

I would REALLY like to see a picture of your whole quilt. It looks beautiful, I love the fishies, but I suspect it's even more beautiful when you can see all of it.

Love the quilt - beautiful colors!

looks good to me.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    you don't need bailed out. it is awesome. no one but us will ever know. and we will not tell.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

What a great quilt for a baby; bright and happy. It matters not a whit what thread you used, etc. It will be used and enjoyed.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

I usually use cotton thread, cotton fabric and cotton batting. Just my personal preference. I will use polyester for piecing - not sure about quilting with it. I haven't done much machine quilting, but it sounds like it would be just fine so I'm going to give it a try. I would be hesitate to use rayon - just use for decorative not for the purpose of quilting which is to secure all three layers securely. However, never say never.

My son's quilt is over 30 years old and while it is "well loved", the quilting is still there....it had to be cheap thread because that is all I had in those days. The stories of where that quilt has been and what it has been through would curl some of your hair.

I must have been a real slob because I bet his quilt (and other son's quilt either) wasn't washed more than a 10 times a year and they were well used/traveled and that was only for the first year. We used receiving blankets and lined pads to "catch" any messes.

Worse come to worse, you have a reason to spoil the baby with several other quilts.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

It's a beautiful quilt.
    Heather

Beautiful fabrics and quilt!! I love it and baby will, too.

My niece is 20 years old and still sleeps with her part rayon quilt every night. It is quite worn, but still loved and used. What more could you want from a baby quilt. As far as the quilt police, last time they dropped in I put them to work scrubbing toilets. They haven't bothered me in a long time and I quilt as I please with whatever suits me.

Can't post bail, have spent too much on fabric for the last 6 weeks, but will visit and bring cookies if that would help the lock up time pass.

Very pretty!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

QM
    Your quilt, your rules.

Aborable quilt and loving the colors!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Beautiful quilt that will last a long, long time. I've never had any trouble with my mother's rayon thread and I'm pretty sure some of it is 60 or 70 years old. That baby will be a big, big girl before that thread gives out. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by Momyar View Post
    I was a bad, bad, bad girl......not only did I use polyster thread to quilt this quilt.....I used RAYON!!!! I couldn't find a yellow varigated to use on the binding. So I went ahead and used rayon.

This is Cheaper by the Half Dozen by Atkinson Designs. It uses 6 fat quarters, 1 5/8 for the backing, 7/8 of a yard of outer border and binding (normally) and 3/8 of a yard for the inner border. I used the piping binding for this quilt. That way I could machine sew the binding on and not have to take the time to hand sew it.

This is for a new great niece due the end of June.

Will someone please post my bail for me?????

Hugs!

Blog Entries
    Poly is fine to quilt with. Most longarmers prefer it because it's strong and lint free.
    Got fabric?

that turned out great. don't worry i'm on the lam from the quilt police I"ll never rat ya out.

Blog Entries
    They'll be too busy oohing and ahhing over the quilt to notice the rayon.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Pretty!!!! I won't tell on you! LOL
    What a bright, happy quilt! Don't sweat it... our lips are sealed (because if the quilt police get to poking around this bunch, who knows what they'll turn up... LOL!)!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Very pretty! We won't tell the quilt police where you are. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast