Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting prices, good or what? >

Quilting prices, good or what?

Quilting prices, good or what?

Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 PM

That is less than half of what I pay for edge to edge no frills. Could the price be that much difference because of your location and the number of LAers vying for customers? It sounds too low to me.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:21 PM

I just paid almost 90.00 for a king size that they did a all over sports design, it wasn't custom, and they supply either cotton or poly batting..your choice. Si I would say go for it, sounds about right fr over all quilting. IMHO
Old 02-22-2014, 05:49 AM

My long arm quilter is 84 years old and does panto's across the entire quilt, all by her hand guiding the machine. She does very good work, a queen size quilt is $45 with me supplying backs and batting.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:58 AM

I think there are two things possibly at play here - the first being that prices vary greatly depending on where you are located...and also that with the increase of long arm owners - the cost of service is starting to level out. Fifteen years ago nobody had a long arm, so you might have to drive an hour or more to find someone with one of these mystery machines and pay a small fortune. Now just about everyone is free motion quilting and long arms are becoming more and more affordable to the average hobby quilter. So I would say, if she does a good job, chalk it up to changing times and enjoy! Also remember that there are different types of quilting - pantographs are a wonderful affordable option - but custom quilting will cost you a bit more while on the same note every square inch of your quilt will recieve a little more attention.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 AM

Wish that person was around here.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 AM

I think that is fair for an all over pannogram. If it is for a quilt that you want to be used-not an heirloom-and you like her work try it with a small one to be sure. One other thing to consider is if you can just drop it off or if you have to send it-the shipping cost both ways adds an extra expense.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:35 AM

This lady's prices are about what my son and I charge for quilting; no difference in price for size differences, except for a baby quilt. He does stitch down all the edges, top and sides, if you want; or in the case of all-over free-hand design, he just goes clear to the edges; and the finisher has to use a stitched-on binding. A lot of the time, depending on my free time, I'll finish the sides for them myself (machine stitching the binding on one side and hand finishing on the back.)...if they leave enough extra fabric for me to do that.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I've never had a quilt quilted before, but I would think that I'd like to send them a small lap quilt or twin size, to see the quality and workmanship of their quilting. I think I'd rather do that than send out a king size quilt only to be disappointed. It's worth a chance, especially if you have received a recommendation from the LQS.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If they do a good job, that is a great price. Ask to see samples of their work to see if you like it.
I agree! Look up references! Ask their relationship with the references also.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 PM

Where I am in Texas that is a very good price, although I use a LAQ who is quite reasonable, and I furnish batting and backing. Once again, the prices depend on what you want.