Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Question >

Quilting Question

Quilting Question

Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 AM

Some do. I wouldn't. I spent a lot of $ taking classes on quilting and also on how to maintain my APQS Millenium, personally, I would not feel comfortable renting it out to someone who is inexperienced.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Same in my area, there are shops that do, one gal in my guild that does. It is not inexpensive with the required classes and the time required once you add mounting the quilt onto the machine. you have to have the endurance also to be able to do all this in one visit most likely. I just would feel rushed to get it done and don't think I would enjoy the experience. That said, I have a laundry basket full of tops that need to be quilted.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:33 PM

I know the one around here that rents only requires one all-day class for $125, but then you are "certified" to rent their machine. I don't know what the hourly rate is, but I was fortunate to be able to get my own. That's how I learned at my old LQS. They did the same thing, where they had a class and then would let you rent time on their second LA. The owners and staff were always around to help if there were any problems and assist in loading and rolling.

I definitely feel that it is a good idea to rent first if possible, before purchasing one, to see if you like to LA. I like to do my quilts from beginning to end and have never sent one to a quilter. It was not a matter of cost, just a matter of saying that the quilt is all mine. However, that is just me. That said, I would not let someone come use my own personal machine due to all the issues mentioned by others.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I never tried a LAQ because I found quilting on my Bernina straining on my back and I'm sitting in a very expensive office chair for support.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I like to do my quilts from beginning to end and have never sent one to a quilter. It was not a matter of cost, just a matter of saying that the quilt is all mine. However, that is just me.
I'm the same way. Although I look at what a real longarm artist can do and I know someday I want that done to something for myself, to keep!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I never tried a LAQ because I found quilting on my Bernina straining on my back and I'm sitting in a very expensive office chair for support.
I did take several DSM FMQ classes from several different teachers, including Diane Gaudynski. I enjoyed the teachers, but I didn't enjoy pushing the fabric under the needle. I felt it in my arms, rather than my back. That was another reason I fell in love with LA after trying it at the LQS.

Have you looked at buying extra back support?
Old 04-17-2014, 02:05 PM

We also have some very dedicated LA'ers in my area who don't do custom quilting but feel their niche is to fill the LA void and do overall quilting at a less expensive price. I only learned about them through word of mouth. They want people referred to them so there is some level of expectation ... and much less hassle.

Ask around if someone does this in your area.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:19 PM

you should try a laq because you would not be wrestling with the quilt I found it was alot easier on laq.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

before I purchased my machine 10 years ago I took a 'certification class' at a shop which was $50- I learned the machine, cleaning, winding bobbins, threading, checking tension, loading the quilt- did a practice quilt...at the end of the class I received a certificate stating I had been (trained) to use the machine- then I had the opportunity to rent time on the machine for $20 an hour- the owner being present to help if there were any problems- after I purchased my machine I too offered the same deal to people who would rather finish their quilt instead of paying me to do it for them- off & on over the years I have had people take advantage of that opportunity...9 times out of 10 after the class and perhaps doing one of their own they decide they would rather just pay me to quilt for them instead- they find out it is actually work. they always still have the opportunity to do their own though-if they choose to do so.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:14 AM

Our LQS has a longarm that they rent time on. They do require you to take a lesson on setting up and using, the nice thing is they are always there to help if needed.