Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting the Quilt >

Quilting the Quilt

Quilting the Quilt

Old 08-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ngeorgia
I am new at the quilt part the problem I am having is the thread to use. Say it is orange and white or black and white if I meander what color of thread. I am reading that the clear thread may not be the best in the long run and some groups don't what it.
Unroll some thread over the fabrics and see what look you like better. When I first started, I liked blending the thread so my mistakes didn't show as much. Now I'm braver! I love variegated threads and often use those. I've used clear poly thread, it was ok, but I like regular thread better. When in doubt, white or off white often works.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 PM

You would use white on a dark color? I am thinking it needed to match like clothes but with different colors it isn't going to match them all. To keep changing thread or rolling to the next section with that color and back I didn't see how you could do a large pattern. I have only done one and I used clear and SID. I am thinking of crosshatching this next one.
This might just be me making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM

I practiced by making 9" square pot holders in different quilt blocks. Folks at work got LOTS of pot holder Christmas presents that year :)
Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ngeorgia
You would use white on a dark color? I am thinking it needed to match like clothes but with different colors it isn't going to match them all. To keep changing thread or rolling to the next section with that color and back I didn't see how you could do a large pattern. I have only done one and I used clear and SID. I am thinking of crosshatching this next one.
This might just be me making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Depends...I'd have to try it out first, but I have used dark threads on light colors mostly. Do you have any scraps left of the same or similar colors that you can test the threads on? You might be pleasantly surprised at the way they look. I rarely change thread colors within the same top. Don't make too much work out of it...it's supposed to be a fun hobby! :)

by the way...black on black is very hard on the eyes!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 PM

All righty then, I think that I'll do like Nike says, and "Just Do It"....after I practice that is. Thank you all so very much...for the encouragement and the words of wisdom. I really do appreciate all the help.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:25 AM

Beckie, I had the same problem and this is the first year I ever tried to do more than Tying off a quilt. All these good answers are a help. I hope you find a lot of support from reading the Quilting Board, like I do! It also helps to get a good book on the subject. Are you interested in machine quilting or hand quilting?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Oh my, are all those big quilt tops just sitting around waiting to get quilted? Poor things! ;-)

My first quilt was in a class at the LQS. It was a lap quilt, simple patches, and the class included learning to pin the top, batting, and back together and quilt it. The quilt wasn't perfect by any means, but it got done. If you are really squeamish about this, you might look for a beginner's class at your LQS and talk to the owner about the fact that you don't need help with piecing, just with the quilting. Perhaps she could let you work on that throughout one of her classes. Unfortunately most of the "machine quilting" classes I've taken have concentrated on free motion, not on the basic mechanics of actually quilting a quilt, "getting 'er done".

Good luck, and be sure to post your quilts! Completed!