Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Rulers >

Quilting Rulers

Quilting Rulers

Old 04-20-2018, 04:13 AM

I like to use the smallest ruler I own that will get the job done. I've always wanted a Block Lok ruler, but the price turned my off. Maybe someday I'll cave in.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:25 AM

I have the bloc-loc half square triangle set and find that I never use the little one, as someone above said - too fiddly. If I was only buying one, I would get the biggest, which is not really that big anyway. I use mine a lot and think they are worth the money. I will say that I use the middle size most of the time.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:55 AM

Funny how we are all different...I have the set of 3 Bloc loc rulers and use the small one quite often, especially doing Bonnie Hunter’s quilts. I also use the 6 1/2 inch but can’t say I’ve used the 4 1/2.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM
Administrator

i will not spend money on any ruler or other "tool" that requires me to make it wrong first and then use the ruler or tool to fix it.
i can do it wrong at no cost whatsoever.

i do spend money on those that will help me make it correctly the first time.
don't ask how much i've spent so far.
i'm sure if i did the math i'd either cry, faint, or both. lol
Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
SillySusan, mine must be one of the older ones, probably 8-10 years old.
Treat your old JT kindly. They sure don't make 'em like they used to.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
Don't buy June Taylor Shape Cut rulers. They are flimsy and break easily. We just had a thread about my troubles with and latest one... And, I promise, my last one.
Wow! What a surprise! I just got an email from the June Taylor Co. They are going to send me a new ruler! I really did not expect this. In fact, when I contacted them about my problem with this ruler, I said that I didn't expect them to do anything about it because I didn't have the receipt. Wow! The ruler is still way too flimsy, but I'll be sure to treat it with kid gloves. Wow!
Old 04-20-2018, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I've been curious about whether or not the quality of the June Tailor rulers has changed. I think I have acquired all of the JT rulers over time. My newest one is several years old, and the older ones must be at least ten years old (probably more!). I have had no problems with them -- no breakage, no nothing.

Anyway, today I was at Walmart and saw one of the JT's in the sewing aisle. I whipped out my mini measuring tape and measured the width of the plastic at 2mm or just under 1/8" thick. When I got home, I measured the three JT mats I have out at the moment. They all measured that width or less. I suppose it's possible they've changed the composition of the plastic. However, the Walmart ruler felt the same as the ones I have at home.

I honestly don't think the JT rulers have gotten flimsy over time. I think it may come down to how individual people use the rulers. I am what I would call a "slow" quilter, never rushing, and I think that may be why all the rulers and mats I have seem to last. Many years ago I worked faster and remember nicking some ruler edges with my rotary cutter. That never happens to me now.

The harder plastic of the Stripology rulers is probably stronger than the softer plastic of the JT rulers, but I wouldn't call the JT rulers flimsy. They probably do require a little more care when using, though.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM

I just bought the bloc-loc hst set and it came in the mail today. I’ve already used the 4 1/2 and love it!
Old 04-21-2018, 05:35 AM

I bought the 2.5" and 4.5" block loc HST rulers. I figure I'll never use the 6.5" as that seems huge to me. And if I do, I'll just use my regular rulers to trim. These are something I wish I'd bought a few years ago!

I really love the 2.5" the most, but I am into tiny.

I really want to get the JT trimmer tools, but they are so big! I can't imagine trying to use a 5"x10" ruler to trim down a FG unit that measures 1" on the short side. I've considered buying it and cutting it in half. Right now I usually use my 3.5" ruler and know where to line it up for trimming.

My most used ruler for trimming is my 3.5" ruler. I have rulers in 1" increments up to 12.5" and then have a 16.5 and 24.5 squares.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:39 AM

Thanks for all of the wonderful advise! I did more research, and reviewed older posts here regarding quilting rulers. I bought the Bloc Loc HST 6 1/2, and the strip set ruler. I also purchased the Deb Tucker Corner Pop and large Square Squared as well as a magic wand. I like the precision idea of the Deb Tucker rulers, so I will purchase others when I make quilt that uses the blocks for the other rulers. I decided not to buy the stripology ruler due to the information shared in this and other threads. I don't mind strip cutting, so will hold off on that purchase to save money for other rulers.

I got started on this quest when I started sewing together sub blocks for the fireworks quilt I am making. I am a fairly new quilter, and tried to be extra careful and precise only to find that the sub blocks are all wonkly due to the corners primarily. I made the econ blocks by sewing smaller squares diagonally on larger squares. Now after research, I find that I should have cut the squares oversized, and trimmed down to ensure the corners would be large enough. Luckily for me, I have enough fabric to remake the blocks.

Last edited by TAMARATJO; 04-21-2018 at 05:42 AM.