Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilting rulers

quilting rulers

Would like advice on rulers for a quilting machine. What kind to use and where to get them. What brands do you use? Thanks for any help.

Judy

I like Angela Walters rulers. She has videos of how to use each one. Westalee rulers are nice. There are a lot of brands to choose from, basically they all do the same thing. I bought several of all brands to try and the Creative Grids by Angela Walters are my favorites. They are easier to use for me.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Since I have a high shank DSM, a Pfaff CV, I can use my HandiQuilter rulers.

Be sure you have the right foot for rulers... and the right rulers for your foot. (low shank or high shank).
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've found that I prefer clear plastic to the colored ones. I don't like handles on the rulers (though some people do) and I like registration marks that are etched into the plastic. Smaller rulers are usually best, because they're easier to maneuver, but occasionally you really want one that will reach from one spot on the quilt to another, and then you need a bit more length.

Power Poster
    Are you asking about rulers for ruler work on a domestic sewing machine or a longarm machine?

Handiquilter has a ruler of the month club, I am growing a very nice collection of rulers!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Blog Entries
    I like a lot of Handi Quilter's rulers, but I am totally in love with DeLoa Jones' circle buster and boomerang rulers. These are engineered so the 'innie' and 'outie' side of the ruler will result in the same size curve when used with your ruler foot. This means that don't have to be a contortionist, or keep moving the guide back and forth to each side of the foot. You can use the ruler on the same side of the foot across the whole quilt
    https://www.deloasquiltshop.com/collections/guides
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I would suggest just adding one or two at a time. I have some I have never used! I like the ones from Jamie Wallen (curved cross hatching- has handles) and Teryl Loy the best. I have odd ones that found their way to my quilt studio that I use but have NO idea where they came from!

www.quiltersapothecary.com (Jamie Wallen

www.terylloy.com

Both have videos with quilting suggestions.

Handiquilter, lisa calle, patsy thompson, gina perkes, westalee, rhonda, top anchor just to name a few that i have, just get the correct foot also you cant use thicker rullers behind the foot on low shank or thinner on high shank or longarm. Smaller are easier on a domestic.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I prefer rulers that have lots of markings for registration. For example, I have two straight rulers that I like a lot, but use for different things because of the way they're marked. My HQ combo straight and mini clam shell ruler has only got markings along the length but it has convenient ruler foot stops that stick out at each end. The stops have a line etched to show where the needle is traveling (as long as your needle is centered properly in your ruler foot). This comes in handy for stitching in the ditch since you can just place the etched line on the stops along the ditch and know your needle will be in the ditch- this feature has greatly improved my accuracy at SITD.

The Westalee ruler is a basic ruler with a straight side and a curved side. There are both lengthwise and widthwise marks on it and this is more useful than the HQ for certain tasks like quilting a line that is perfectly perpendicular to a previous line without haveing to actually mark it on your quilt.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen