Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting shed size? >

quilting shed size?

quilting shed size?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:42 AM

I think that you'll need a bigger "shed". My old sewing room was 20x20, I had plenty of room, my new sewing room is 9x15, not even CLOSE to being big enough, what doesn't fit goes into the container my husband's brother bought.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 AM

Not sure what type of weather you are moving to but living in Michigan, we get all types. I put a bag of clothing in the shed and forgot (about a year)about it...when I opened the bag, the smell was really musty and the mice had also found it. Just be careful what you put out there.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 AM

I'd want more like 14 x 18. The 10 ft. width is much too narrow. Don't forget after you get your shelving and cabinetry in there and your long arm etc., you need "walk around" room of at least 2 ft. or you will be very cramped. Don't forget to send us pictures when you get the project all done, many of us wish we could have a separate "girl cave". :lol:
Old 10-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Several years ago I went from 2500 sq feet to 1100 and I had to get rid of many things. I used one of the bedrooms for my sewing, computer etc and it was okay. Now I live in a single wide with one bedroom and fortunately a room added on. I have a 14 by 20 room and it is about the right size. I would reconsider that size.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:06 AM

Definitely larger. Even with great shelving for fabric you are going to be limited on space for your frame. I am making the assumption that you are going to set your frame up but if you are only going to store it and prop it up against the wall that is going to be limited space. Usually shelves take up 18-24 inches and that would only leave you 4 feet. You need at least 3 feet for decent access and walking area. That only leaves you 1 foot on the other side. Ann in TN
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 AM

I was just thinking if you have two rooms of fabric in your current home, what size are those rooms? Just with the fabric storage you'll be compacting a lot. If you have a room in your house about the size of the shed you are thinking of getting, try to imagine how you would arrange everything in that space. But maybe in the moving process, you will get things more compact and organized to save a lot of space.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 AM

You can NEVER have enough space! Try to find the extra money for a larger shed......(speaking from experience!)
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 AM

I'd do at least a 14x20 if not bigger - when you figure fabric and a quilt frame - plus I'll bet it becomes a place for more storage - the above mentioned dimension may not even be big enough!! I can relate to this size as I had a livingroom once this size - loved it - lot of space, and if I got company, we weren't in each others face and could spread out and still have a nice space to not trip over one another if we needed to get a cup of coffee, or if the guys left for a smoke - or ???? but space is deffinitely the biggest hindrance in downsizing, and don't regret going bigger to catch the overload... believe me - been there, done that!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
well, 14x60=840 sq ft max. so your new space will only be 1/4 of your current space. i can't even imagine doing that. 10x16 shed is only another 160 sq ft, so a total of 1000 sq ft, 1/3 of your current space. where your mobile home is located, is there a restriction on the size of the shed?-just a thought. All I can say to you is Good Luck!
I live in Minnsota and I know that you will need a permit for certain sizes of sheads. It depends on your local building codes. You should check into it before you build.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:52 AM

I have an 8 x 17 for JUST my longarm (12 foot table) & customer quilts and wish it was a lot bigger. I want to add a cutting table for a bolt of batting or two and I want an ironing table. I just don't have room for that now. If you're adding fabric storage, you would need to add a lot more room. I have a long shelf that is behind me that has all my working tools and 2 5-shelf shelves for storing customer quilts. I also have a stool for those times and a small table for putting the paperwork and pen for calculations, etc. My longarm also has a separate bobbin winder....that had to go on its own little table near the electricity...........so -- long story short -- I wish the room was 12 X 24 or so!!!!