Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a shoe-string budget >

Quilting on a shoe-string budget

Quilting on a shoe-string budget

Old 07-26-2011, 11:08 AM

sale bins, Walmart, Goodwill, yard sales, and my favorite fabric swapping!!! Quilting on a budget can be done and the quilts will come out just as beautiful
Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
Cheap sheets. One of my projects right now, I bought $3 twin sheets on sale. I got 6 coordinating colors for $18. That is plenty of fabric for a quilt or two. It won't be an heirloom, but it is still plenty of fun for me.
I second that. I have just bought a heavily discounted set of queen sheets and hope to make two child sized quilts with them (and each will have a matching pillow!). I'll do applique from my ample stash of scraps.

Not too sure if the sheet fabric is "right", but hey, its a nice colour and the kids won't mind if the thread count is off!
Earlier in the year I got a next to new queen sized flat sheet that had roses on it for $2 at GoodWill. We ended up making 2 personal sized blankets and 2 baby blankets out of one sheet.

Just the other day I got a brand new set of sheets at an auction. Plus 2 shams, and 4 pillowcases. A cute springy print that included strawberries. The flat sheet will be a house dress/summer gown. Don't know about the pillowcases yet.

Oh, and also a yellow/gold print reg. size sheet set.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by RenaB
Originally Posted by spartan quilter
I find that doing SID for the quilting saves me a lot of money. I did invest in a walking foot, so it is a lot easier now. Just another suggestion.
What is SID?
Stich in the Ditcjh
Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 AM

These are great ideas!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:36 AM

You should also get onto the Joann fabrics mailing list so you can see when they have sales. Their clearance fabric goes on sale for 1/2 off the clearance price. I get lots of good deals that way.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 AM

I also think that if you need more money to be able to buy some things, that maybe you could have a yard sale, sell things on Ebay or Craig's List and definitely ask for gift cards for birthday/Christmas.

If the general rule of thumb is when you don't have enough money is to 1. cut expenses or 2. increase income (or both).

Assuming you've already cut out food waste (many people throw a lot of food out of the fridge each week--that is money doing down the drain--food disposal), then increase the income.

Ask for gift cards to Joanns, or LQS, or other on-line sites, sell things on Craig's List or Ebay. Volunteer your time in exchange for fabric. Maybe someone has a bunch of fabric but could use a babysitter? Think creatively.

So, besides the coupons, the sales, the thrift stores, etc. try to find ways to come up with some money so you can spend it on fabric. Quit going out to eat (assuming you do)--eat frugally at home instead. Go vegetarian at least one day a week, don't throw food away, etc. Cutting back on the food budget can free up some money for hobbies, which, of course includes fabric! :)

Now talking DH into it might be a different story.

Just get the word out to those around that you would like their old fabric scraps, their cotton clothing (instead of donating to Goodwill, they could ask you first), and you can always ask at the local (non chain) thrift stores if they ever get clothing in that they can't sell due to holes, stains, etc.

I had great success with this when I wanted denim. I went to three thrift stores (not G & W Clothing or S & A Clothing :) but local stores) and they gladly saved things for me for three days. After three days I went back and had so many pairs of jeans that I had plenty to cut up to make several quilts...and that was from two or three thrift stores. I asked for the ones that they couldn't sell due to stains or holes.

Then, make what you can and be sure to say lots of thanks and give away quilts to those who are most generous to you. :) That way you help people see that you are indeed using what they are giving to you. Maybe you could even make a few charity quilts or baby quilts and let people know that you would like to do this. Working people often have a soft heart for charities and while they lack time, they will gladly help out someone who has no money but lots of time.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilting in my60s
I really have a problem recommending used fabric either clothing or sheets as by the time those things, especially cotton, get to goodwill they are worn out.
Hmmm, must be a regional thing because at MY goodwill and Salvation Army stores I find stuff BRAND NEW with store tags still on it for very little $$. Do you actually try going into your local thrift store, sallys or goodwill or are you just going by some unfounded old stigma? You may be surprised at how many items they have that are new or next to new.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 PM

My local grocery store and the post office have bulletin boards that anyone can post on. I have a p.o. box so am there every day. A lot of people in my town also have boxes; it's an every day trip for us. The boards list services, items for sale, apts for rent, all kinds of things. Try that, you may get a lot of answers.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:59 PM

I shop yard sales, Salvation army, use sheets, bed skirts. friends give me scraps as they know I do charity quilts. Bluejeans make excellent quilts fo boys.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by quilting in my60s
I really have a problem recommending used fabric either clothing or sheets as by the time those things, especially cotton, get to goodwill they are worn out.
Hmmm, must be a regional thing because at MY goodwill and Salvation Army stores I find stuff BRAND NEW with store tags still on it for very little $$. Do you actually try going into your local thrift store, sallys or goodwill or are you just going by some unfounded old stigma? You may be surprised at how many items they have that are new or next to new.
Can anyone give us an estimated yardage you can get from a 100% cotton Men's long-sleeve shirt, size Large? Goodwill sells Men's shirts for $4.49 @.