Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting for show - how perfect should the piecing be? >

Quilting for show - how perfect should the piecing be?

Quilting for show - how perfect should the piecing be?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM

Default Quilting for show - how perfect should the piecing be?

OK, a little background:
About a year ago, I saw this quilt in Quilt Trends and just fell in love with it.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/449867450249221863/
I finally managed to source all of the fabrics late last year

Shortly after that, I took a series of classes from Jamie Wallen. While I was there, I bugged him for a little advice on how to quilt my future quilt. His comment was "Oh. Oh WOW. You don't know it yet, but this is going to be a show quilt...."

No Pressure.

Fast forward to current day. I've got it all cut and I'm starting to piece. The ever present "It's going to be a show quilt" is in my head, and I'm super critical of my piecing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458077[/ATTACH]

How many of these would you rip? (They all have some small to small-ish mismatch)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458078[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458079[/ATTACH]

If you ripped and re-stitched, would you:
  • rip the whole seam and pin and stitch again
  • just rip an inch or so on either side of the part where you missed and ease it? Is that asking for a pucker?

I'm so paranoid that I'll send the ripper through the fabric, and I have so little spare in some cases.
Attached Thumbnails img_1362.jpg   img_1363.jpg   img_1364.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-22-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

even show judges know there is no such thing as 'perfection' ... you should strive to do the best job you can do- remember the quilting process will make some mistakes disappear- seldom is a quilt judged with a magnifying glass. over all appearance, technique and workmanship all play a role in judging- do the best you can do- but remember- ripping & re-sewing sometimes makes things worse.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

What kind of a show is it and what is your goal? If it's a juried show and your goal is to win first prize, you may want to fix the worst ones. If it's a smallish local un judged show or a juried show and you are not looking for a prize, just the experience, I'd also just continue on. Personally, they look good to me.
I have had lots of experience ripping, however. If you do decide to fix some of them, start by re ironing the seam so it's the same as when you sewed it (not pressed to the light or dark). Using the point of your seam ripper work on one side or the other, cutting every 3rd or 4th stitch. Turn the piece over and you should be able to remove the entire thread. Now separate the 2 pieces. Do not tug or pull on the patchwork. Unsewing this way will result in the least amount of distortion. I have never had any luck with just removing part of a seam (unless the error is when I'm joining rows).
Old 01-22-2014, 11:24 AM

I wish I had some experience to help you but I'm also working on my first 'show' quilt. I am not expecting to be accepted into the show, but just the fun of working on a quilt for a show and sending in for judging is my only experience so far.

I am not working on a quilt nearly as beautiful as yours, but the piecing is still a challenge, because of that lingering idea that it's going to be judged.

I would follow Paper's advice especially about using the point of your ripper on one side and the other etc so you don't stretch the pieces your unsewing.

My challenge is that my quilt is a QAYG which I've never done before. Still have 3 months before submission and it's a wall quilt so I'm taking my time and studying the directions and the technique and I won't work on it if I'm the least bit tired or stressed. I want it to be a fun experience. I will admit it is intimidating to know that someone else is judging my work, but what's the worst they can say... No. But I will love it, because I love the design and the fabric, so I say....do your best and enjoy the process.

Stitch124
Old 01-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

By asking, you already know there are mistakes you want to correct. It's not perfect but many award winning quilts aren't perfect at all. At most of the national juried shows I have been to, innovation wins over perfect workmanship.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 AM

That is a beautiful quilt. I just wanted to add...don't forget to get copyright permission to enter the quilt in a show.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

From what I can see of your pieces, they is very little difference in the piecing. The pattern looks like it will be very forgiving as none of those slight variations have to match up against another pieced block. As for the floral mitered blocks, the ones in the link don't match the pattern either. The only ones that might concern me would be 2 on the far right where the little gold stripes don't match the others. I would just strategically place those maybe one in opposite corners so they were less noticeable. It is going to be beautiful so, STAY CALM and QUILT ON!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Only the mistakes that would be easily seen are the ones I would take out.
When I bought my first quilt book and really everyone since, I was and am shocked to see some sloppy quilts. I thought they were professionally made and didn't think there were be any mistakes.
I am still trying to make a perfect quilt and try as I might I can not do it.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:52 PM

Can't wait to see it all put together-it looks beautiful already!!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:10 PM

How many would I rip out? None. Zero. Zip. Nada. I'd throw my back out doing happy dance that they came out so well. Of course, I don't do shows. It's not my thing, but I've been to many. I think it's hard to saw what will catch a judge's eye. I've seen winners that had flat out mismatched seams and I've seen winners that were spot on perfect. That's the thing with judging art. It is very subjective and you will never make all the judges happy. Make yourself happy.