Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting with silk >

quilting with silk

quilting with silk

Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 AM

Default quilting with silk

I have a stock of beautiful silk from India, and I would love to make a quilt out of it. I have only ever quilted with cotton. Can anyone give me tips on needles, threads, batting etc. to use? Cutting tips?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Hi, Tariquil,

I haven't personally quilted with silk, but I came across this blogpost that might help: http://lizzyhouse.typepad.com/cherry...with-silk.html

Cherri House (who authored City Quilt.) used silks for one of her designs. I have the post pinned because I really like the simple design and think it would be amazing with silks. Send a picture of your fabric or the finished quilt (or the quilt-in-progress), if you're so inclined!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info! That link looks great. I tried to upload a picture of the silks, but it wouldn't load. They are solid colours, so I will have to get creative in organizing them. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM
KLO

Just got back from viewing that link and ..... Wow! That silk quilt is beautiful and I'll bet even more so in person. She really gave some great tips for handling the silk. Someday .......
Old 03-25-2014, 02:53 PM

Someday, indeed….. It really is a beautiful quilt. I don't know that I would have even dared to try FMQ, but it really does look beautiful on her quilt.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:18 PM

I have done a silk quilt. It turned out beautifully. My advice is to use a lightweight fusible interfacing. I have received so many compliments on it. I love it. I loved working with the feeling of the fabric. My intention was to hand quilt it.. but too many quilt tops .. too little time. Just got it back today from the quilter. She liked working with it also.. just advised interfacing. I did not think to use it when I made mine.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:21 PM
RST

I've made smallish projects with dupioni silks -- it looks absolutely gorgeous with free motion quilting in an iridescent thread. My tip would be to avoid very small pieces in your design, since silk does fray more than quilting cottons.-- so let the drama be about texture and color more than intricate piecing. I'd also experiment a bit with a bigger seam allowance-- 1/4 inch may be too scant depending on the weave you're working with.

Have fun. I love silk.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by marasmom3369 View Post
I have done a silk quilt. It turned out beautifully. My advice is to use a lightweight fusible interfacing. I have received so many compliments on it. I love it. I loved working with the feeling of the fabric. My intention was to hand quilt it.. but too many quilt tops .. too little time. Just got it back today from the quilter. She liked working with it also.. just advised interfacing. I did not think to use it when I made mine.
Marasmom3369, did you FMQ or use a walking foot? This thread has inspired me to think more seriously about silk, but all the silk quilts I've seen have been beautifully FMQed. Might have to bone up….
Old 03-28-2014, 01:43 AM
Power Poster

use a good lightweight stabilizer (fusible) on the back side of your silks- make sure you have a good new sharp blade in your cutter; a new 'fine' sharp needle in the smallest size you can use with your thread choice (I use silk thread so I use a pretty small needle)
prepare to change blades/needles when they are no longer working well- do not try to use a dull blade or dull needle
working with silks is wonderful- and create fabulous items (quilts/clothing) but you have to take care- don't try to rush/take short cuts. silk ravels easily if not stabilized.